Sterile Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it comes with a stainless steel racking cane, you'll be set for life.
My "sterile siphon" setup includes a long stainless steel racking cane which I still use after 7 years.

With that, I've used CO2 at very low psi (1-3) to push beer from carboys into kegs that way, which is even a bit better than air. Now, aside from using the cane by itself, the cap is useless when using buckets, though.

I can see the benefit of this. But I like the flexibility that an auto siphon provides, allowing me to maneuver siphon around in the carboy to collect what I want, and I can tilt the carboy to get out as much good beer as possible while avoiding the trub.

If it comes with a stainless steel racking cane, you'll be set for life.
My "sterile siphon" setup includes a long stainless steel racking cane which I still use after 7 years.

With that, I've used CO2 at very low psi (1-3) to push beer from carboys into kegs that way, which is even a bit better than air. Now, aside from using the cane by itself, the cap is useless when using buckets, though.
Samesies. In fact, ever since I started doing closed/forced transfers, I rarely even use my siphon anymore.

If you are set up to use co2 to move the wort, good. If not you are adding air that could harbor contaminates thus negating it's advantage. Personally I love my autosiphons. And they are much cheaper to use than co2.

petrolSpice, Why could you not maneuver this around to get all the wort you can? The top is not rigid.

Added: I have never had a contamination issue, if I did I might want to look into closed transfer options.

Last edited:
petrolSpice, Why could you not maneuver this around to get all the wort you can? The top is not rigid.

I guess your right. But how hard is it to move it up and down without it sliding abruptly and kicking up trub?

I guess your right. But how hard is it to move it up and down without it sliding abruptly and kicking up trub?

after the first setup you learn to eyeball the racking cane height compared to your fermenter. when I finished racking the picture I posted I had less than 16oz in the fermenter.

If you practice with a bit of water once you get the setup, its pretty easy to dial in and never vary more than a few oz.

I used it today to rack 3 gallons to my bottling bucket. It was a breeze. Blew into the filter for a few seconds and the siphon started. I was able to place the wand tip (red cap) right above the yeast cake and was able to transfer most of the wort, leaving a little behind to harvest the yeast.

I hated using the auto-siphon as I could never place the siphon at the correct angle. Not so with the sterile siphon. Should have bought this when I first started as it has made racking so much easier.

Now I just need to get a longer tub so I can lay the wand in to make sanitizing easier.

One note: the tubing that comes with the siphon is crap. It's coiled up and caused a slight issue. I'll be getting 5' of silicon tubing next time I'm at the LHBS.

Very pleased. If anyone hates using the auto-siphon, invest in the sterile siphon- you will not regret it.

Back