Sterile Siphon Starter: A Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd contend the sterile siphon starter is easier to use than the autosiphon... but nice general review, thanks Galdor.

I use the same setup but use CO2 to get things started. No HEPA filter when using that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd contend the sterile siphon starter is easier to use than the autosiphon... but nice general review, thanks Galdor.

Don't mention it man, thank you for your information on the sterile siphon starter! The more sources to learn from the better!

I need to figure out how to use this on big mouth bubblers. I just bought a 1/2" auto siphon and while works fine, like you said it will break or get infected and is a disposable item after a year or two.

I need to figure out how to use this on big mouth bubblers. I just bought a 1/2" auto siphon and while works fine, like you said it will break or get infected and is a disposable item after a year or two.

When you say you need to figure out how to use it on a big mouth bubbler, do you mean the sterile siphon starter? The auto siphon should work on most sizes of mouth, you just have to get your setup right for a bigger opening. If you are worried of it falling in then make a socket out of a wire hanger so it can't fall. If you mean the sterile siphon starter then you probably won't find one to fit your mouth. You could make a funnel to attach to the bubbler, so you can get that nice siphon action with. Pretty sure it would have to be airtight though. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403619456.814390.jpg I'm no artist or engineer just an idea. The pink part would be the airtight funnel you add. It would work essentially the same way as say a better bottle but just oddly shaped. Sorry if this is not what you were talking about, for my terrible drawing skills, for my lack of engineering knowledge, or if this just wasted your time. I'm still a young blood and have trouble understanding the written word haha.

I cold crash and just set my auto siphon on the trub and let her rip.

I was referring to the sterile siphon. I am tempted to get one of the dual port lids try squeezing the siphon wand through an airlock and using the other port with an airlock and a tube to blow into. I'll test this next time I place an order online for the lids. Buckets are another one to figure out in a similar fashion, but the lids are never super air tight in my experience.

I cold crash and just set my auto siphon on the trub and let her rip.

I was referring to the sterile siphon. I am tempted to get one of the dual port lids try squeezing the siphon wand through an airlock and using the other port with an airlock and a tube to blow into. I'll test this next time I place an order online for the lids. Buckets are another one to figure out in a similar fashion, but the lids are never super air tight in my experience.

Oh yeah that would be a struggle.... Not sure how your idea would work ( never tried anything like it ), I guess it would be the same logic. Blow in one that's air locked to create pressure,the pressure needs to be released so it takes the path of least resistance ( the siphon ). I may try this with a batch of water just to try. And as the the airtightness of your bucket, try something like door caulk around the rim of the bucket. It is sticky but not too much, and is pretty much like clay. Air would have a hard time getting through. Just don't over do it and get it in your brew.

I think my buckets are on their way out. I like my BMB's a lot and will likely get a couple more once my buckets are unusable. If I had a dual port lid I would also try this out with water. Patience grasshoppah :)

Galdor,
I think your funnel idea would work, with figuring out a way to seal the funnel to the shoulder of the BMB.

Is the area smooth on a BMB?

Most are that way, at least most I have seen. Smooth like the surface of a coffee mug. Depends on what you buy really. As to sealing, I can't really think of a good temporary seal. I mean if to want to take the time hot glue works really well at sealing air out. Or maybe get so into it that you make like a suction ring around the funnel.

I was thinking maybe, a form in place silicone, ( RTV), seal on the funnel, with some mold release, ( car wax or Vaseline), applied to the BMB while it cured.

Don't press it down hard while forming the seal, and after it was cured, you could add some weight to the neck of the funnel to effect the seal, something on the order of a small barbell weight, or something similarly shaped.

2-3 pounds I would think enough to get some "give" out of the cured silicone seal.

Just used this bad boy on another batch, I seriously can't recommend it enough. I feel like I need to promote it every time I use it, it's just that damn simple.

Just used this bad boy on another batch, I seriously can't recommend it enough. I feel like I need to promote it every time I use it, it's just that damn simple.

Just used mine for the first time today. Brilliant! Thanks for the review on your blog.

Faster than my auto siphon and so simple to use.

I have plastic big mouth bubblers. I have found a pretty simple work around but i use co2 to push. Honestly it's probably inconsequential that I'm using co2 oppossed to sanitary o2 filter but its my method so here goes.

Use a double ported lid. Just put this together tonight so there may be other configurations of stoppers but i suppose ill use a nondrilled stopper on one side and normal air lock in the other port. Then when it comes time to rack; replace stoppers with what i have shown in pics. I just jammed the gas tube into a drilled stopper and prepared a stainless dip tube with a stopper and racking tubing connected to the out QD of my corny keg. Just leave the prv open, turn co2 on at 2psi and badabing you're racking.

I didn't have issues with not getting a complete seal at the lid, but i do use a foam gasket around the top. Just like with the O2 you only have to push co2 to start the siphon then turn it off.

I'll need to push a relief needle through one of the stoppers. I ran into a vacuum forming while racking. And that cheap plastic folds very easily

IMG_20150405_182003.jpg

IMG_20150405_182043.jpg

Nice review!

Another method is to close up the receiving keg and apply a slight vacuum to the gas port.
Hook up a disconnect with a bare hose and apply a vacuum to the end of the hose.
If going to bucket or carboy you can do the same if you have second hole in the bucket or the two hole cap on the carboy.

Back