Steps to clean keg & lines with PBW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long do you soak a keg and lines with PBW?
Do you heat the water as stated in the instructions?
Can I dump the keg, rinse it, add star san and rinse the beer lines with star san? Or do I need to run water thru the lines before I run ss through?

I run hot PBW or Oxy through the lines, Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Then I run about a gallon of hot water through each line to rinse that stuff out. After that I run cool star san through the line and keep that in there for 5 minutes or so.

GodsStepBrother said:
I run hot PBW or Oxy through the lines, Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Then I run about a gallon of hot water through each line to rinse that stuff out. After that I run cool star san through the line and keep that in there for 5 minutes or so.

I concur

You need to rinse between pbw and starsan. Recommended procedure is run a caustic (pbw is close enough) until clean, let sit for 25 minutes, run again until clear, rinse until ph is neutral, repeat with acid (starsan)

Sorry to be a little off topic.

In between kegs, do you leave sanitizer in your lines?

I've been leaving OneStep in my lines when I don't have another keg ready to go. I haven't had any issues but didn't know if this was advised or not.

Sometimes my lines will have OneStep in them for a month or so.

This post requires more detail, lol.
I merely wanted to state how helpful 5 Star was.

I asked them about rinsing PBW out of lines and they said I could rinse with SS in sufficient quantity.
I also asked them about storage of SS in solution. They said that as long as the pH is <3.5 its fine. I want to mix it a 5 G batch and store it in a bottling bucket for ease of use.
She also recommended I use SaniClean for keg lines since it is also no-rinse, but does not foam.

Thanks that is good to know. The last one was news to me... I'd never heard of the product.

As for storage of StarSan. I keep a keg of it around all the time and use very little of it at one go. It lasts a LONG time and I've yet to have any go bad.

As for me. I generally flush with starsan when I pull a keg and leave the starsan in until a new keg is hooked up. When the new keg is ready I hook it up and push out the starsan with a little beer then am back in business. I don't deep clean them that often though. I'm about due to pull the taps and give them a soak I think.

As for me. I generally flush with starsan when I pull a keg and leave the starsan in until a new keg is hooked up. When the new keg is ready I hook it up and push out the starsan with a little beer then am back in business. I don't deep clean them that often though. I'm about due to pull the taps and give them a soak I think.

I do the same thing. Except I'll let the "dirty" empty keg sit in the keezer until I have another batch ready then go thru the cleaning routine right before i fill it. Lazy.

I'm gonna get some Sani Clean just for the keg and lines.
2057.jpg

I merely wanted to state how helpful 5 Star was.

I asked them about rinsing PBW out of lines and they said I could rinse with SS in sufficient quantity.
I also asked them about storage of SS in solution. They said that as long as the pH is <3.5 its fine. I want to mix it a 5 G batch and store it in a bottling bucket for ease of use.
She also recommended I use SaniClean for keg lines since it is also no-rinse, but does not foam.

Personally, I would drain kegs and store dry. I have had pin hole leaks develop in kegs doing otherwise. Alternatively, dedicate one keg or bucket to storing the sanitizer... If it can be sacrificed. And you can monitor how long it takes for a leak to occur.

Personally, I would drain kegs and store dry. I have had pin hole leaks develop in kegs doing otherwise. Alternatively, dedicate one keg or bucket to storing the sanitizer... If it can be sacrificed. And you can monitor how long it takes for a leak to occur.

You're telling us that you developed pin hole leaks leaving cleaner or sanitizer in stainless steel containers that are designed hold acidic products? What are you using to clean these kegs, nitro-hydrochloric acid??? :p

Back