Stepping up to 10g batches- recipe conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbrewery

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a 10g batch of a recipe I last brewed as a 5g batch. Is it safe to just double everything, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

Just remember to double the size of your equipment too!

The only thing I do different is one pack of yeast. I start it and divide it to the two five gallon primaries. That is just me trying to save a buck.

Just remember to double the size of your equipment too!

Just moved up to a keggle not too long ago and I'm pretty sure my mash tun will work.

20302739.jpg

I'll be firing up my 4th 10gal batch this weekend and each one has been a doubled up 5gal recipe. So far so good. All things being equal, doubling should be no problem. :mug:

I don't know if this happens to everyone but I have the 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler MLT and my efficiency went up 5-7 percent when I went from 5 to 10 gallon batches.
I guess you should just double it and see what happens.
You'll love the 10 gallon brew day. All the effort of 5 gallons with twice the reward. Good luck

Schwind

I almost always do 10g batches. double everything. it is just that easy. but also double the yeast. DOUBLE THE YEAST! especially if using dry yeast, they are super cheap anyways. if using wet yeast. make a huge starter 3-4 days in advance and pour half into each primary. DO NOT split a single dry or wet yeast package into each primary.. my two cents...

Your efficiency may go up a bit once you will have moved to 10 gal batches. So eventually you will need to adjust your grain bill.

My efficiency went up from ~65% to ~75%, probably because during the fly-sparge process you have two times more sparge water going through the grain bed.

Back