Stepless clamp size help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zephed666

Reaction score
Hello:

I have been looking to swap out my worm clamps with the oetiker crimp clamps and was hoping to confirm the sizes.
From everything I read the sizes should be:

3/16" ID 7/16" OD beer tubing - 1/4" barb - 13.3mm
5/16" ID 9/16" OD CO2 tubing - 5/16" barb - 15.7mm
5/16" ID 9/16" OD CO2 tubing - 3/8" barb - 17.0mm

My question is would it be possible to get away with the 17.0mm clamps with the 5/16" barb?

My regulator (taprite T752HP) has a 5/16" barb and the ball lock (gas) has a 3/8" barb.

On the link I gave, did you look @ the size range differences, between the two types, as in how much further the double would constrict, over the single?

Edit:

Looks like your tubing wall thickness is approx. 1/8 inch, which leaves you about .062 "slop" on the 5/16" barb........

Question: You just trying to avoid buying another size, (ie: can you not buy them individually)?

On the link I gave, did you look @ the size range differences, between the two types, as in how much further the double would constrict, over the single?

I wouldn't use the double pinch. Those don't have the tongue and groove design...

the McMaster sizes would be approx...
Oetiker 13.3mm - McMaster 27/64 - 17/32 - 52545k51
Oetiker 15.7mm - McMaster 33/64 - 5/8 - 52545k54
Oetiker 17.0mm - McMaster 37/64 - 43/64 - 52545k55

Still wondering if I can get away with the one clamp for both barb sizes...
could probably get away with the larger one since it seems to constrict to the spec needed as well. just hoping someone knew for sure...

Yes, I would think you could.
Get the tubing hot and pliable in some hot water, and grab the tightest "lug" on the clamp that you can latch by hand, then crimp away!

If it doesn't work, you are going to wind up having 3 sizes on hand anyway after you buy the other size, Yes?

I didn't know you were specifying the "gap free" style, but I bet it would work!

But I don't know for sure.

Personally, I would wrestle the 15.7 on both.

Here's a couple charts to help with sizing. Cheers!

image.jpg

Talk to me like I'm stupid. Why are you replacing your worm clamps? I use all worm clamps and haven't had a leak yet. From the literature attached above, it looks like the oetiker clamps are one time use devices.

Latest posts

Back