Step Starter issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejf063

Reaction score
So I've done multiple starters before, but this is the first step starter 'm doing. I am using Wyeast 1028 had a liter starter with an estimated starting gravity of 1.037. Let it spin for 24 hours. I decanted and started step 2. For giggles, I checked the gravity of the decanted wort and it was 1.05. So i must have boiled too hard.
That's not the issue. The issue is it appears the yeast didn't eat any sugar. Granted it was an older pack, 04/26/208 but i've pitched older and never had a problem. Is it still sleeping? Step two should be spinning for 36 hours. I did add nutrient to this starter. any reassurance would be helpful.
Thanks.

Did you cold crash the first starter before decanting?

If not, you might have thrown out all the healthiest yeast that was still in suspension of the primary starter.

I always cold crash my step starters. I do them a lot as I brew 11 gallon lagers!

Did you cold crash the first starter before decanting?

If not, you might have thrown out all the healthiest yeast that was still in suspension of the primary starter.

I always cold crash my step starters. I do them a lot as I brew 11 gallon lagers!

Yeah. I cold crashed and decanted. I took the gravity reading from the decanted liquid. no dice.

Sometimes yeast just lets you down.

Sounds like your process is good. Only thing I can think of is maybe heat shock? The new wort was too hot compared to the chilled yeast cake? And you killed it?

But most likely not.

Back