Step Mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
So I am just getting into All Grain, building my system but I am at a cross roads.

Are there certain styles of beer that have to be step mashed? I might go with the RIMS set-up only to do an efficient step mash. But if it isn't needed, then HERMS I go.

Gotta figure this out so I can start buying equipment.

Thanks!

I don't think there are any styles that require a step mash. In fact, many craft breweries do a single infusion mash for all of their beers. Some might say that a step mash is preferred for a particular style, but I can't think of any styles that you couldn't brew because you aren't able to step up the mash temperature. I hope this helps. Good luck with your build. :mug:

With today's highly modified malts step mashing IMO/IME is really not necessary. That being said I know wheat style beers that use a large percentage of wheat may benefit from a two or three step mash but it's not necessary.

Back