Step Mashing Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Ieant to do a recipe that calls for a step mash in 4 steps. My question is, is this possible in an igloo cooler mash tun or do I need something that I can heat up as needed. If I can do it in the igloo is there an equation that will tell me how much water and at what temp to add nhnnenexttatarget

Yes it's possible but you need to be sure your tun is large enough to handle the total volume of water required for all the steps as there is no draining in between steps.

As for the math, it's not my strong point, I use software like Beersmith to handle the calculations. Basically you start with a first step volume at a certain temp, then add a specific amount of water at the proper temp to raise the mash temp, then again with the next step, each time adding a specific volume at a specific temp to raise the mash temp.

There are several free calculators out there and Beersmith has an introductory free period to try it out. Someone else may chime in with another recommendation or the actual calculations needed:)

+1 what duboman said. The trick is ensuring you can accommodate the final volume after all the infusions. Question for you, why do you want to do a step mash? It's usually not necessary with the well modified malts that we have nowadays. I was talking with the brewmaster at TAPS a while back about step mashes. He said he used to do them but not anymore because there was really no difference in the final product compared to doing a single infusion. Decoction is an option but in my experience it yields different results because of the Maillard reactions resulting from boiling a portion of the grain.

Question for you, why do you want to do a step mash? It's usually not necessary with the well modified malts that we have nowadays. I

This is exactly what I was thinking. What kind of beer is it and why do you want to do it. Just because the instructions say to, you probably don't have to. I've done some decoctions and unless you are looking for adding on a few hours to your brewday I'd skip them. Hot water additions are doable but tricky and if you shoot low or high on one you need to adjust the others on the fly. Single infusions are easy, they work and are what I would suggest.

This is exactly what I was thinking. What kind of beer is it and why do you want to do it. Just because the instructions say to, you probably don't have to. I've done some decoctions and unless you are looking for adding on a few hours to your brewday I'd skip them. Hot water additions are doable but tricky and if you shoot low or high on one you need to adjust the others on the fly. Single infusions are easy, they work and are what I would suggest.

It was for a Grodziskie (Gratzer) Beer in last months issue of Zymurgy. They call for a 4 step mash. I was think since it's a wheat beer of sorts I would just do a single infusion and keep the mash temp around 150-52. Just didn't know if there was an easy way to do a step mash or not.

scottyg354 said:
It was for a Grodziskie (Gratzer) Beer in last months issue of Zymurgy. They call for a 4 step mash. I was think since it's a wheat beer of sorts I would just do a single infusion and keep the mash temp around 150-52. Just didn't know if there was an easy way to do a step mash or not.

Nice, I saw that one too and was thinking I might give it a try. My understanding is even modern wheat malt will convert ok without a step mash. That said, I've never made a 100% wheat beer. Didn't the recipe use a special smoked wheat malt from Weyermann? Maybe there's some documentation on their website with stats for this malt.

Just didn't know if there was an easy way to do a step mash or not.

There is definitely a way to calculate what to do. I use Beersmith for all my calculations which will also tell me if I have enough room in my mashtun. Like I said I don't do stepped infusions or even mashouts anymore but I remember using Beersmith like this. Also, this is probably a 4 step mash just for the purpose of tradition because this is a very old, pretty much extinct style that would have required it.

Nice, I saw that one too and was thinking I might give it a try. My understanding is even modern wheat malt will convert ok without a step mash. That said, I've never made a 100% wheat beer. Didn't the recipe use a special smoked wheat malt from Weyermann? Maybe there's some documentation on their website with stats for this malt.

I saw something on Northern Brewer's blog thing last summer about this malt and style and had to try it. Used 100% Weyermann Smoked Wheat Malt, Saaz hops and German Ale Yeast and it turned out great! Weird, but great for summer and barbecues.

OK it's a preference thing but for German styles like this I strongly prefer the results from a decocted mash. I think you get a much fuller flavor profile and better mouthfeel. Beersmith will do the calculations for you, and it's not that complicated, although it is time consuming. Look up some of the many good threads on decoction here.

jerrodm said:
OK it's a preference thing but for German styles like this I strongly prefer the results from a decocted mash. I think you get a much fuller flavor profile and better mouthfeel. Beersmith will do the calculations for you, and it's not that complicated, although it is time consuming. Look up some of the many good threads on decoction here.

+1 to this.

When doing 100% wheat malt recipes there is a definite difference in the beer if a depiction or multi step mash is used. It's not to say a single infusion won't turn out a good beer, just won't be the same.

In the book "brewing with Wheat" many of the recipes involve multi step or decoctions to achieve the proper final product.

+1 to this.

When doing 100% wheat malt recipes there is a definite difference in the beer if a depiction or multi step mash is used. It's not to say a single infusion won't turn out a good beer, just won't be the same.

In the book "brewing with Wheat" many of the recipes involve multi step or decoctions to achieve the proper final product.

Interesting. I guess I should have prefaced my comments with a "I'm not much of a wheat brewer" statement of some sort.

microbusbrewery said:

Ya Weyerman smoked malt is it. Probably end up doing a single infusion.

Back