Step Feeding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huesmann

Reaction score
I started a batch of traditional mead yesterday, 12 lb of honey and 4 gal of water, K1V-1116 yeast. OG was 1.086. My plan is to step feed, adding honey to another vessel and racking onto it. At what SG should I plan on doing that? Wait til it goes to .998, or earlier?

I usually wait for it to drop by 1/3 of the OG, take the SG just before adding and again after adding so you can keep track of actual OG. At the 1/3 break the yeast is typically well established, and you have an opportunity for addl nutrient.

Whereas I let it get down to between 1.010 and 1.020, then I just add enough honey to raise the gravity by about 10 points, then let it drop down to the same 1.010 to 1.020 when I add honey again.....

I think as long as the fermentation is still active, you should be OK... I'm far less scientific about it, and when I add additional sugars depends on they sugar...if it's just candi sugar or dextrose, I do it after things are fully active for a day or two, and after high krausen. If it's honey, or another sugar that adds flavor (molasses, etc.) I wait until things are almost completely finished (but still active signs of fermentation) and then add...I feel this preserves the aroma/flavor better. With mead, this is probably less of an issue, since all of the fermentables are honey...

BTW, it's not necessary to rack to step feed, and personally, I think you'd be far better off just adding the honey to primary and then racking when you're done, and it's done fermenting.

Not necessary to rack, but it makes it easier to add X amount of honey, since I can put the empty bucket on the scale, tare it, and add X ounces of honey! Harder to do that with a full bucket when your scale only goes up to 13 lb. :)

What I do when I add honey for additions or backsweetening is to measure out the honey using a food scale then dissolve it in a small quantity of warm water then add that...

I second saramc, add honey at the 1/3 drop - this is the best time, because the yeast should be rolling and no longer need O2, and they have usually reached most of their saturation limits of nutrients.

That said, I would add no more honey than what would raise the SG of the fermenting must to the OG. If it is a lot of honey, split it up into multiple steps, adding at each 3/4 or 1/3 drop. It's usually not a bad idea to give it a good stir (at least on the first addition) to degass and mix everything in well.

Man the K1V really took off. It went from 1.086 to 1.056 at 2 days after pitching, then I forgot about it and today, 4 days after pitching it was at 1.014 :eek:. So I added another 6 lb and 3 cups of hot water. Assuming it takes off again, I'll add another 6 lb later.

When you guys are step-feeding, do you leave the bucket top loose until the last addition?

I use a blow off tube for all my primaries (and I also use carboys and better bottles), so I always have a sealed top... If you were to have an excessively vigorous fermentation with a loose lid, I'm sure the mead would be fine, but you'd have an awful mess on your hands!

If I had an excessively vigorous fermentation with a tight lid I'm sure I'd still have an awful mess!

Man the K1V really took off. It went from 1.086 to 1.056 at 2 days after pitching, then I forgot about it and today, 4 days after pitching it was at 1.014 :eek:. So I added another 6 lb and 3 cups of hot water. Assuming it takes off again, I'll add another 6 lb later.

When you guys are step-feeding, do you leave the bucket top loose until the last addition?
No, the problems with foaming etc are usually in the early stages of ferment.

As long as you give it a good stir before adding your honey you should be fine......

You obviously got it well balanced for the yeast to munch the sugars as quickly as that. Your only possible issue might be needing to get some organic nitrogen in for the yeast, like FermaidO if available or some boiled bread yeast and a hand full of raisins......(and yes, stir it first)

When I checked this morning after the second addition of 6 lb of honey it was bubbling away happily. I clamped the lid on the bucket (for good, until secondary) after giving it a good whip with a whisk.

Back