Step-Feeding protocol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleinMN

Reaction score
I currently have a 5 gallon batch of simple apple wine bubbling away using EC-1118 and had some questions on step-feeding protocol. First off, I'm kind of just doing this as an experiment to learn about step-feeding, practice my nutrient feeding and reading a hydrometer and really just to see how high I can get the ABV before the yeast dies.

Started with 5 gallons store bought apple juice, 1lb of chopped raisins and 4lbs of dextrose. Starting gravity: 1.084 with some yeast energizer and yeast nutrient. Fermenting relatively cold at around 60F. A couple days later it had fermented down to 1.034 at which point I added most nutrient and energizer, degassed and added 2 additional lbs of dextrose bringing it back up to 1.044. Checked it 24hrs later and it was at 1.032 so I added an additional 2 lbs.

I did not notice any off smells what-so-ever and it seems to be fermenting well even at a low temp. My question is, as the alcohol content continues to rise should I let it ferment down before the next step-feeding or is there an optimum SG range for the yeast?

When I'm getting close to where I think may be the limit should I wait for it to ferment nearly dry to add more fermentable or will that make the ferment loose momentum and cap their potential? I ask because I don't want a bunch of leftover unfermented sugars in there when the yeast dies out.

And finally, is there any chance the end product may be palatable? Will it need to age for a year or more and is there anything I may be able to do to improve the end result like adding powdered wine tannins?

Back