Step by Step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilligas2u

Reaction score
I have never tried to make cider. Do you make it the same way as beer.. by that do you boil it if you add sugar. use the wild yeast or try to kill it with something and add your own.. What type?.. Best type of apples? like I said never tried it.. but love a good cider

I have never tried to make cider. Do you make it the same way as beer.. by that do you boil it if you add sugar. use the wild yeast or try to kill it with something and add your own.. What type?.. Best type of apples? like I said never tried it.. but love a good cider

You don't boil it- that sets pectins (think apple jelly). Most people who are going to kill the wild yeast either use pasteurized cider, or add campden tablets at the rate of one per gallon, and then pitch the desired yeast. (If you use campden tablets, it's best to pitch the yeast 24 hours later). There are many types of yeasts, just like for beer, from cider yeasts to wine yeasts. Any of them can be used, depending on desired results.

If you're adding sugar, you can heat up some of the juice to dissolve the sugar, then cool and add to the rest of the juice before pitching the yeast.

The best type of apples to use are sour apples, just like for pie. Eating apples don't make a very good cider.

I too am just getting ready to get some cider going. A friend invited me to a "good ol' fashion" cider pressing next weekend. Pick apples in the morning and then press in the afternoon approx 150-200 gallons of cider.

From what I have gathered I plan on crushing some campden tablets (1 per gallon) and adding them to the "wild" must and letting it sit for 24 hours. The only drawback I have heard of this method is the sulphites left in it can be the cause of headaches for some drinkers. Usually people have the same reactions to certain wines that contain sulphites.

I am planning on adding 2lbs of brown sugar to the cider, so I will reserve about 2-3 quarts of the juice before adding the campden and heat it up to 170 and dissolve the sugar and yeast nutrient into it. Then cool it and rack add it back to the must.

I ordered some White Labs English Cider yeast WLP775. I plan on probably two batches, the second batch might get some Montrachet or Champagne yeast.

I do have a question for other cider makers. Is it useful to rack the must out of the container you pitched the campden into?

Jilaman, I highly suggest you do at least some of your fresh pressed without the added sugar. I have done cider with brown sugar, and will definitely do it again, however, I feel everyone should start out with straight and simple cider around 4-6% as it comes from the tree. You get a better feel for how cider is made, how it tastes, its basic characteristics, and without the higher abv, it will be ready faster! That way while you are waiting for your brown sugar batch to age, you are already drinking some delicious fresh pressed goodness.

Back