step additions of wort to yeast instead of yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloom_198d

Reaction score
I will prob end up doing a starter or small batch anyways, so dont rip into me too hard if this is stupid.
I plan on making a 5gal batch of a 5% lager in the next 7 to 10 days. Usually for this I would make a starter, but im a bit busy right now and I always feel a 5 or 6l starter is just a waste of grain. I could make a small batch of something... but I dont really want to have to deal with an additional batch for 6 weeks and than bottle it (thank goodness for kegs). I was wondering if I could simply brew my lager, but than throw only 1 gallon of it on 50bill wyeast 2124 and keep the rest cold at fridge temperature. After 3 days I could add 2 more gallons and than add the rest after another 2 days. Is there anything wrong with this thinking? Has anyone done this? Will the beer go bad uninnoculated in the fridge for 5 days?

Ya makes sense, boiling isnt sterilizing. You need steam and high pressure for that. Might work if you freeze it though.

Back