American IPA Stefan's every day IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skw

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1217
Yeast Starter
2L, stirred, pitched at high krausen
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Alternative: BRY-97, Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 18°C
Tasting Notes
Citrusy/Resiny aroma. Sweet on the tongue with a hint of grapefruit-like tartness, with a long dry and pleasantly bitter finish.
This is a recipe that I have been brewing with variations for about two years now, and I always run dry before I get around to brew the next batch.

I believe that a good IPA can be done with only base malts and just a few hop types. Going overboard with hop varieties and crystal malts just makes things more complicated and may end up muddling the result. This one is a straight to the point, Centennial/CTZ IPA with enough flavor to sip, while light enough to have another pint or two.

Brewing water: my tap water is close to the classic Munich profile, to which I add one tablespoon of Gypsym per batch. This beer needs some sulfate for a dry finish, and Calcium helps it to drop bright quickly.

Grist:
50% Maris Otter
50% Vienna Malt
Target OG 1.055

Mash 60min @ 65°C

60 min boil
1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and Irish moss @10 min

Hops:
Warrior, 25 IBU @60 min
Centennial, 20 IBU @5 min
CTZ, 20 IBU @5 min

Ferment with Wyeast 1217 at 18°C ambient temperature. Pitch generously from a vigorous starter. If 1217 is not available, pick a dry ale yeast with a low ester profile of tropical fruit and high attenuation.

Dry Hop with 20g Centennial, 20g CTZ for 5 days

Bottle condition with table sugar, target CO2 3.5g/l.

28 days grain to glass with bottle conditioning. I have no experience kegging it.

Last edited:
Back