Steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never steeped anything as I went from extract to all grain in one leap. I have some Mesquite flour I want to steep to see what taste and color it will produce. I have one lb. How much water should I steep it in, what temp, and for how long?

You could take a couple tablespoons of the flour and add it to a cup of hot water. You'll get the aroma and taste from the mesquite, and it'll also taste like flour, because it's flour. It will also be a paler version of the color from the starch, but you get the idea.

Why wouldn't you put in in the mash? Don't put enough to where it will cause a stuck mash though; 1lb would be too much.
I would image steeping it would make a dough ball and what fell into the kettle would be unconverted starch adding to the body making the resulting beer very biscuit like.

Unless the seeds were malted first before being ground into powder, it will be starch. High protein starch at that, so the beer will be super cloudy.

Unless the seeds were malted first before being ground into powder, it will be starch. High protein starch at that, so the beer will be super cloudy.
Well, no. We had this topic in another thread here recently and mesquite contains mainly sugars and very little starch. See below for more info.

http://homebrewingfun.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/mesquite-pods-yeah-you-can-brew-with.html?m=1

Edit: to be 100% precise, it is not the seed but the pod containing the sugar. I do not know what the flour is made of, so there would be some investigation necessary.

I guess it depends on if the flour was made by grinding the pod+seed or just the seeds?
Anyway, this is a silly thing to argue about. I would still put the flour in the mash to ensure complete conversion.

I guess it depends on if the flour was made by grinding the pod+seed or just the seeds?
Anyway, this is a silly thing to argue about. I would still put the flour in the mash to ensure complete conversion.

Yes the flour is made by grinding the whole pod. Mahalo for all the comments. I'm not to afraid of dough balls as I grind all my barley to flour like in a blender.

Just found this on the home page of my source for the flour
"Kiawe bean Pod Flour is 45+% fructose and sucrose, <1% fat, 15% protein and high in calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and zinc"

I guess the yeast should be happy

I understand the problem of steeping the flour so I'm gonna mix it in with the grain. Adding slowly to the mash water should prevent dough balls. Also I have coming in the mail 1 lb of mesquite smoked malt from Briss. Hoping to brew on Saturday if the grain arrives by Friday. Came from N.Y. Brew supply. They had the best shipping price. Grain was 2.99 and the shipping about 13. Gonna be expensive beer as the flour was over 12 bucks. Better turn out GREAT.

Back