Steeping time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2pugbrews

Reaction score
I got a recipe from my HBS for a Pale Ale. It calls for Crystal Malt to be steeped 30 min. The recipe does't state the temperature. The recipe:
6.5 Pale Malt Extract
1# 10L Crystal Malt
1/2 oz Columbus 60min (rec called for Centennial but HBS was out)
1oz Cascade 15 min
1oz Cascade 0 min
Yeast Safale US56
BTW, I wanted something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and this is the recipe they gave me.
What temp do I steep at? do I start the grain steeping cold and bring to temp or bring water to temp put grain in and then turn the heat off? I want to brew tomorrow (Sun) so would appreciate advice.
Another question: I have a choice of using RO water (w/ gypsum?) or Eldorado Springs spring water. I'm definitely leaning toward the spring water which came straight out of the spring (only filtered)

Bring a couple quarts of water up to about 160 degrees and then steep the grain in it for 30 min. Take the grain out and rinse with more water at 160. Use a muslin bag if you can or just use a collander if you have no choice. After you rinse, top up water to boil volume and add extract and boil to schedule.

You can start with cold water or hot (160-170F), although if you bag the grain there is a slight chance of burning the bag if you let it sit in the kettle during the heating. I've only done that once.

Water: spring water, random trace minerals will help the yeast grow.

Back