Steeping Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozorgnax

Reaction score
Hi all, just a quick question:
From what I read here, when you steep specialty grains, you turn off the gas once the temperature reaches the desired level. If so, then won't the temperature start to drop? After 30 mins of steeping the water will have become lukewarm. What am I missing?

You can turn your burner on and off to maintain around 155 (or whatever your recipe says). Just whenever the burner is on, lift the grain bag off the bottom of the kettle so it doesnt burn.

it doesn't matter if the temperature drops while your steeping. steeping grains have no enzymes and you're essentially just rinsing the already converted sugars out of them, so holding a specific temperature doesnt matter. too high can extract tannins tho, so just keep it below 170F and you should be fine

I always tried to keep it close to 155 when I was steeping. I didn't worry too much, but would turn the burner back on a few times during the steeping process. The temp would drop ~ 5 degrees in between. Not a big deal. Just keep it below 170F like scp27 suggested.

Back