Steeping Specialty Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic699

Reaction score
I am currently doing 1 and 5 gallon batches. I play with the 1 gallon batches until I find one I like. Then I brew it as a 5 gallon batch. I am jumping up to extract brewing with specialty grains. My question is, most recipes are for 5 gal batches. If it says steep the grains for 45 minutes. When converting to gallon batches, since the grain bill is only a fraction of the 5 gallon batch, should I steep the grains for the full 45 minutes or cut the steeping time down to around 12 minutes? Thanks.

Keep steeping times the same. I don't really ever do a 45 minute steep though, that seems a little long to me. 20-30 minutes is all I usually do. I can't imagine getting that much more flavor or color from steeping 45 minutes vs 30 minute unless it was a ton of grains in a small amount of water.

I'm sorry. I tried to remember the steeping minutes from the recipe as I wrote this. It is actually 35 minutes. Not 45. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back