Steeping specialty grains the night before in extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN1981

Reaction score
I have a quick question on if I would run into any issues if I moved the processes of steeping the specialty grains to the night before or earlier in the day of when I actually brew. I do realize that this wouldn’t save a lot of time but at the moment I am really limited on how much time I have to brew. Basically, what I am thinking about doing is steeping the specialty grains (at temperature) and then setting the timer on my electric brew pot to get the water to a boil when I am ready to start brewing. At the most this probably only saves me an hour of time but right now that is a big difference for me. The only difference would be the water from the specialty grains will just sit at room temperature or whatever temperature I set it at for 12-18 hours before I start the boil.

Depending on time involved, there is a potential for the unboiled wort from your specialty grains getting infected/oxidized, there's a lot of chemistry there (and some sugars in there that just about anything in your air will like to eat)... That said you could steep in a small enough container that you don't have a lot of air room with a good lid (sanitized) on it and should be 'safe'. Think of your wort from the steeped grains like a pot of tea, odds are it will still be ok but flavor will change as it sits for a good amount of time, especially as its exposed to the air. I've seen people steep specialty grains / adjuncts in a coffee press and stuff it in the fridge for hours w/ small batches.

I have a quick question on if I would run into any issues if I moved the processes of steeping the specialty grains to the night before or earlier in the day of when I actually brew.

What you are doing is commonly called a "cold steep". It shows up in various homebrewing books (titles available on request).

As long as your cleaning and sanitizing techniques are "rock solid", your approach will work.

Some people suggest that cold steeping may not be as effective as a normal steep (150* F for 30 minutes). You may need to adjust the recipe (aka season to taste) over time. Personally, when I've changed a recipe from a "normal" steep to a cold steep, I use the existing amounts and the beer comes out fine.

[This is heresy but it will work]

Put your steeping grains in the pot as soon as you add the water. Start heating the water and when it gets to boil or just before, pull the steeping grains out. That should save you an hour and make pretty good beer too.

[This is heresy but it will work]

Put your steeping grains in the pot as soon as you add the water. Start heating the water and when it gets to boil or just before, pull the steeping grains out. That should save you an hour and make pretty good beer too.

These are the #2, #3 & #4 steps that MoreBeer includes in all of their extract kits...
“2. If you are using a 5 gallon kettle, add 2–3 gallons of water to your kettle. If using a 7.5 gallon, or larger, kettle fill with 6 gallons of water. Place kettle on stove and turn on heat.
3. Take your cracked flavoring grains (such as crystal, chocolate, roasted barley, black patent malts, etc.) and put them into a large nylon mesh bag. Put the bag into the heating water and remove when the water reaches 170 ̊F, allowing about 30 minutes to do so. If you reach 170 ̊F in less than 30 minutes, turn the heat off and let the grains steep until a total of 30 minutes has passed.
4. Remove the grain bag and continue to heat the water to a boil. Turn the heat off and stir in, so it does not burn on the bottom, the liquid malt extract, dried malt extract...”

I've cold steeped a few times with great success and will continue to do so. I add the cold steeped tea or wort with about 15 mins left in the boil.

Back