steeping Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If using flaked rye in a steep wouldn't you get rye flavor and color? I know it wouldn't add much if anything to the fermentables. But, I thought that was also true when steeping malted grains.

I started extracts with Northern Brewer kits. The directions have you at about 150 degrees for only 20 minutes. That is what I have done with all my extract brews. They turn out fine. Actually I can't really tell the difference between them and my all grain brews.

If using flaked rye in a steep wouldn't you get rye flavor and color? I know it wouldn't add much if anything to the fermentables. But, I thought that was also true when steeping malted grains.

I started extracts with Northern Brewer kits. The directions have you at about 150 degrees for only 20 minutes. That is what I have done with all my extract brews. They turn out fine. Actually I can't really tell the difference between them and my all grain brews.

Steeping grains that aren’t malted or treated to be steeped (like crystal malts are) gives starch to the wort but not much else.

Steeping grains that aren’t malted or treated to be steeped (like crystal malts are) gives starch to the wort but not much else.

That is more or less what I was saying. But I was under the impression that steeping any grains without base grains (a mash) did not add much to the wort in the way of fermentables. More just for color and flavor. I guess flaked grains would add even less.

In a mash the majority of conversion happens in the first 20-30 minutes so if you want to save time you don't have to wait an hour.

That is more or less what I was saying. But I was under the impression that steeping any grains without base grains (a mash) did not add much to the wort in the way of fermentables. More just for color and flavor. I guess flaked grains would add even less.

Crystal malt does add fermentable sugars to the wort. It's been "premashed" so to speak when it was processed. First of all, it's malted and then processed to have those sugars available without mashing.

Flaked grains are not malted nor processed to not be mashed, so they will release starch when stepped. In order to avoid that, they must be mashed with a base grain. Or the brewer can use malted rye/oats/etc and do the mash.

I used 10oz of flaked rye in a 1 gal batch. My man at the brewshop said it will give lots of flavor. I will post when it is ready and tasted.

Just bottled. It has a VERY strong rye taste, and nothing noticable from the muscadines. As it bottle conditions, I am hoping the former fades a bit, while the later comes ups some.

Back