Steeping roasted grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmonty

Reaction score
I am planning to brew the Sweet Stout, using the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I noticed in one of the appendices, it referenced steeping at cooler temps, and for longer time (possibly overnight) when working with roasted or black patent - to avoid tannic extraction.

The steeping grains in the recipe are:

1 lb. Black Patent
.75 lb. Crystal 80
.5 lb. Pale Chocolate

7 gal. Boil

Should I steep all the grains this way, or just the Black Patent? Or steep the usual way at 160ish for 30 minutes?
Just want to do it right the first time instead of finding out too late that the flavors are off.

Thanks in advance!

I've got a sweet stout in the primary - been there a few weeks. Checked the gravity and it's on par. It was done steeped the normal way, all together, at 160 flame out. Instead of Crystal I used roasted barley.

I am planning to brew the Sweet Stout, using the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I noticed in one of the appendices, it referenced steeping at cooler temps, and for longer time (possibly overnight) when working with roasted or black patent - to avoid tannic extraction.

The steeping grains in the recipe are:

1 lb. Black Patent
.75 lb. Crystal 80
.5 lb. Pale Chocolate

7 gal. Boil

Should I steep all the grains this way, or just the Black Patent? Or steep the usual way at 160ish for 30 minutes?
Just want to do it right the first time instead of finding out too late that the flavors are off.

Thanks in advance!

i think it's mostly a matter of preference. i've read that section of BCS and it sounded like a neat idea, cool steeping the dark grains to limit the harsher flavors sounds like a good idea. i may give it a try sometime with my black IPA recipe so i can get the color from carafa II, but little to no flavor. again, it's really up to what you're looking to get from the darker malts you're using. most people just steep their grains altogether in 155 degree water for 20-30 minutes.

Thanks for all the advice! I will try steeping as usual - all together for 30 minutes at 160. I mean, hey, it's a stout so why not!

Thanks for all the advice! I will try steeping as usual - all together for 30 minutes at 160. I mean, hey, it's a stout so why not!

there ya go! :mug: you want some of that roast to come through in the beer. i think the cold steep is more for a brew that you want the color, but not so much of the flavor to come out in the beer. more something you'd do with a black IPA than a stout.

Latest posts

Back