Steeping in Coffee Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeansberg

Reaction score
Can I use a sewn together coffee filter to steep my crystal malt? I couldn't find the steeping bags that I normally would have bought, and my brewing muscles are aching. :)

The filters are unbleached, generic Euroshopper brand.

I think the problem with this would be one of poor water circulation through your grains, since the pores in paper of the coffee filter are so tight...I don't think you'd get as much out of the grains.

You'd probably be better off using nylon hoes or even a t shirt sewn into a bag shape and move it around in the water a lot.

Better yet, steep it loose in a different (smaller) pot than your boil kettle. Then strain out the grains with a strainer and move the "tea" into the boil kettle. That's the method I'm moving to.

Ok. Thanks all.

I bought some washing nets, since that was all I could find. The holes might be a bit too big, but that's what I get for not preparing. :)

Ok. Thanks all.

I bought some washing nets, since that was all I could find. The holes might be a bit too big, but that's what I get for not preparing. :)

just make sure the holes are not so large that you're losing a lot of grain husks into your wort...you don't want to boil them. you can fish around in the pot with a strainer to scoop up lost grain husks, but if tons are getting out, i'd use something else to steep in.

Back