Steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
Been a while. Doing an extract, Bock. Was to steep grains to 170 then remove. Damned pot got away from me and it got up to 180 before I pulled it. Will there be nasty off flavors that ruin it? Should I save my extract and run again? Lhbs is 1 hr away.

Tannins are extracted by a combination of temperature, pH, and time. Temperature of 170° and a pH greater than 6.0 can extract tannins from the grain husk. Pure water has a neutral pH of 7.0. Ground water can range from 6.5 to 8.5 depending on mineral content.
Time would become the major factor for you. How long was the grain at over 170°? A few minutes you may have no worries. Ten to twenty minutes may have extracted some tannins. How much would depend upon the actual pH of your water.
If it was just a few minutes I would go ahead with your brewing.

Ok thanks. It was just a few. 5 tops. I'm going to roll with it. Guess I'll learn what it tastes like. Seems like I always jack something up!! :). Thx

Back