Steeping grains while water heats up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airmike

Reaction score
Is there any adverse affects to begin steeping the grains in the water before applying heat and then when it comes up to 150-155 degrees, I start the timer for 20-30 minutes?

I don't know the exact science, but I tend to put my grains in at 112 and bring it up to 155ish over the course of 10 minutes and leave them at 155ish for 5 more minutes. Works fine for me. But like I said, it isn't an exact science in my brewery yet.

I like to get hot water in the pot, then heat it up to a correct temp while I'm weighing out the grains and sanitizing some stuff. Then I put my steeping grains in my hot water.

I don't like to add heat when the bag of grains is in there because I see the potential to scorch the bag or burn the grains if they're touching the bottom of the pot.

I always just heat up and drop them in once it's at the exact temp I want, never tried it your way so I can't comment. However, for the folks worried about scorching their grain, I always just tie mine to the pot handle so it's suspended in the middle of the pot which should solve the issue as long as you're doing full boils(partial boils the grains would have to sit on the bottom)

Yes, the bag melting. Burned plastic on the bottom of the kettle, nasty stuff. Without a bag, no problem.

I've done it both ways and I usually heat with the bag in from the start and then hold it at about 155 for a few minutes too. Works good for me never burnt any grains just stir it a lot

When I steep grains or do a Partial Mash I usually do it in a smaller pot on the stove/in the oven while I heat the rest of my water up on the turkey fryer. Then I add my "grain tea" to the rest of the wort in the larger pot.

Latest posts

Back