Steeping grains in extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikek

Reaction score
If I get a complete kit but want to add extra steeping grains... Say to make a bigger stout... Do I need to adjust the extracts/hops etc. as well? Or can I just add he extra grains and go with rest of kit instructions??

Just adding more specialty will increase non fermentable sugars and make it maltier and maybe sweeter. To get more alcohol you need sugar or extract of some type. Depending on the balance you want you may need more hops.

I did a kit dry stout and did a mini mash with a pound of marris otter, two pounds of oatmeal and the included specialty grain. Added a quart of French press coffee before bottling.

Until you have a handle on recipe making it would be best to get a different kit. You should be able to find one that matches closely to what you would be looking for by adding extra steeping grains.

Until you have a handle on recipe making it would be best to get a different kit. You should be able to find one that matches closely to what you would be looking for by adding extra steeping grains.

I want a big massive stout along the lines of a imperial stout.. I made a chocolate mild stout and it is good but it is not black massive stout like I want... any recommendations on kits??? OR would I could I accomplish this by adding the extra grains to a kit? I understand what you are saying as far as getting good at kit making before experimenting but didn't know if that would accomplish what I am looking for...

Thanks. Will check out tonight. I just never seem to get the extraction I am looking for but will give it a shot. Don't think I ever actually did a true imperial stout kit.

Extraction? Like of flavor from the specialty grains? If you're doing extract, all of your fermentable sugars (except maybe a very small amount from crystal malts) are coming from the malt extract and don't need to be extracted. If you feel like your kits aren't flavorful enough then that could be corrected by adding more specialty grains, but I would be careful not to over do it.

Extraction? Like of flavor from the specialty grains? If you're doing extract, all of your fermentable sugars (except maybe a very small amount from crystal malts) are coming from the malt extract and don't need to be extracted. If you feel like your kits aren't flavorful enough then that could be corrected by adding more specialty grains, but I would be careful not to over do it.

Yes... that is what I want.. I want to take a stout and make it like the stouts I get from breweries... Big, in your face black as oil stouts.... Not worried about the barrel aged KBS type thing but like a monster rich mouth feel stout... Would that be added specialty grains to gain that effect???

I think that is just a recipe issue. Try doing an Imperial Stout kit. That should be what you're looking for.

A few pieces of advice on your imperial Stout kit:

1. The directions are likely gonna leave you short on yeast to pitch. Run your recipe through MrMalty before you brew to make sure you pitch enough yeast.
2. Just do a blow off tube right out of the chute. That thing is gonna take off like a freight train!
3. Be patient. Ferment that sucker AT LEAST 6-weeks if not 8.
4. Plan on it being in the bottle at least 6 or 8 weeks too before it mellows out. That sucker is gonna be around 10% ABV so it needs time.

Brew on bro!

Yes... that is what I want.. I want to take a stout and make it like the stouts I get from breweries... Big, in your face black as oil stouts.... Not worried about the barrel aged KBS type thing but like a monster rich mouth feel stout... Would that be added specialty grains to gain that effect???

Have you made a stout from a kit and left in sit in the bottles for 3 or 4 months? It takes that long for the stout flavors to really come through and if you are drinking them too early you are missing that. Stouts don't have to be high in alcohol to be big in flavor.

If you do make an imperial stout kit, expect to leave it in the fermenter for a full month before you bottle and 6 weeks wouldn't be too long, then leave it in the bottle for another 6 months to mature. Your mouth will thank you for that.

I hav a brewers best russian imperial stout going now. I added oats and cocoa nibs to change it up but it should be a pretty big beer. The kit said 8% which is fine with me.

Thanks for all the advice. Everything I have read confirms the blowoff tube from get go. Was thinking of either a yeast starter or perhaps just double pitching yeast. Also was thinking of racking to secondary and allowing to secondary 3 months before bottling. Anything sound like a mistake or all fairly sound??

I would stick to the kit instructions. The stout kit I made came with us04 yeast and the kraussen was too much for my 1/2" blow off tube and had to go with a 1". I added oats so i think that helped a bit.

I also brewed a BB Russian IMP Stout. I used a 6 1/2 glass carboy for my primary with a 1/2 in. blow off hose going to a 5 gal bucket. The bucket was 1/2 full of water used as my "air lock". The setup worked well. I put american white oak spirals in my in my secondary and aged for 1 month. Bottle conditioned for another 4 weeks before tasting. The beer was great and they only got better with time. That's the best "BIG" stout kit I have tried. Good luck and happy brewing.

Back