Steeping grains for flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

librewer

Reaction score
I have searched a bit on the subject of steeping grains vs. grains that must be mashed. There seems to be some mixed views on this and I am fairly new to steeping but here it goes. I am not looking to extract any additional sugars from the grains, but rather get color and flavors from them. Specifically the following:

Munich

Flaked Rye

And if the answer is "yes you must mash" then what is the difference between doing a Munich mini mash vs steeping CaraMunich? Or Flaked Rye mini mash vs. Crystal Rye? Again... looking for the flavor profiles to use with my extract base. Thanks!

...Sorry I did actually find a thread on flaked rye I think answers this. Seems there is no way around it, it must be mashed even to get the flavor from it. So I assume Munich is the same way?

I have searched a bit on the subject of steeping grains vs. grains that must be mashed. There seems to be some mixed views on this and I am fairly new to steeping but here it goes. I am not looking to extract any additional sugars from the grains, but rather get color and flavors from them. Specifically the following:

Munich

Flaked Rye

And if the answer is "yes you must mash" then what is the difference between doing a Munich mini mash vs steeping CaraMunich? Or Flaked Rye mini mash vs. Crystal Rye? Again... looking for the flavor profiles to use with my extract base. Thanks!

...Sorry I did actually find a thread on flaked rye I think answers this. Seems there is no way around it, it must be mashed even to get the flavor from it. So I assume Munich is the same way?

Yes, Munich must be mashed. If you "steep" it at 150-160 degrees in 1.5 quarts of water per pound for 45 minutes, you've mashed it. It can convert itself.

Steeping caramunich is different, as caramunich is a crystal malt made to have the sugars already crystalized and available in steeping. It's not the same thing, even though the word "munich" is in it.

Crystal malt is processed differently, so any time you see "crystal", "caramel" or "cara-" you can steep.

Ok, if I did a mini-mash with 2 lbs. Munich and 2 lbs. rye flake would that be enough to convert the rye or would I need additional Munich? Also, is there a list somewhere of malts that can and cannot convert themselves? Thanks!

Ok, if I did a mini-mash with 2 lbs. Munich and 2 lbs. rye flake would that be enough to convert the rye or would I need additional Munich? Also, is there a list somewhere of malts that can and cannot convert themselves? Thanks!

You'd need to add some more base malt. Munich can convert itself, but doesn't have enough diastastic power to convert other grains. You could add some more Munich, or add .5 pound of 6-row or 1 pound of two-row. That should be enough.

I think our wiki (link in the tool bar above)has a good list of all of the malts and which have enough or excess DP,

When calculating diastatic power of the partial mash do I include or exclude the steeping grains in the total weight? I'm thinking exclude because they don't need conversion?

if you swap it to rye malt you would be fine. rye malt can convert itself and thensome.

there are still some starches in the steeping grains, but its minimal so id mostly exclude them

Back