Steeping grains at too high temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
I made a Belgian Saison last night, somehow I steeped the carapils and unmalted wheat at 180 deg F instead of 155 for 30 minutes. I did NOT boil them...the highest they reached was 180 and by the end of the 30 minutes it was 170ish. My guess is that my beer will turn out just fine since I didn't boil the grains...but is there any negative effects from steeping too high? And if I would have reached a boil what would have happened?

Thanks and happy turkey day!

This is an extract kit right? I think you should be fine. No fermentable sugars come from the specialty grains you are just trying to get the flavor.

I thought that steeping at too high a temperature would release tannins from the grain, causing harsh aftertastes. I'm new so maybe I misread something. My first batch was brewed at a teach a friend to brew day. The temp shot up to 180 on my steeping grains as well. After 2 1/2 weeks in the primary I tasted the beer. It did have an alcohol bite to it. I hope it will smooth out as it conditions. The steeping temp was the only thing that seemed a bt off the the brew session.

I've done 2 batches, and in both of them the steeping grains reached temps of 180 before I pulled them. The first batch did not have any astringency (attributable to leeched tannins), and I just tasted a sample from the 2nd (fermenting for 13 days) and it is fine also.

I'm not sure if it is due to the small amount of specialty grains, or if it is the short time they were at these temperatures, but, mine have had no problems. I'm sure you'll be okay, too. :mug:

I thought that steeping at too high a temperature would release tannins from the grain, causing harsh aftertastes. I'm new so maybe I misread something. My first batch was brewed at a teach a friend to brew day. The temp shot up to 180 on my steeping grains as well. After 2 1/2 weeks in the primary I tasted the beer. It did have an alcohol bite to it. I hope it will smooth out as it conditions. The steeping temp was the only thing that seemed a bt off the the brew session.

The alcohol bite would be from fermenting at too high a temp, nothing to do with steeping.

Good to know. It's been in my basement at a constant 66 degrees since it was brewed. :confused:

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Ambient temp = 66, or Fermometer temp = 66?

Leeched tannins produce an astringent taste. Some people say its akin to a very dry wine...or chewing on an oak chip.

I thought that steeping at too high a temperature would release tannins from the grain, causing harsh aftertastes.

Yes it can, but in a typical extract plus specialty grains, the amount of tannins would be small.

Ambient temp. I guess I need to put a thermometer on the primary. Mine is a German Ale so I figured that if the fermentation was a little bit higher I would be OK. The directions said to let it ferment at "room temperature". I figured 66 was less than average room temp.

Ambient temp. I guess I need to put a thermometer on the primary. Mine is a German Ale so I figured that if the fermentation was a little bit higher I would be OK. The directions said to let it ferment at "room temperature". I figured 66 was less than average room temp.

Most of the threads I've seen say that if the ambient temperature is 66, it could be anywhere from 68-74(!) inside during vigorous fermentation.

Thanks everyone. This was an extract kit...I'm not worried about it. I'm pretty sure it will be fine. Can't wait to try it.

By the way, joety, you have 12 kegs on tap, that's the greatest thing I've ever heard. Can I move in with you? Just kidding.

Get one of those thermometer stickers that go on your carboy. They only cost a couple of dollars. Some call them Fermometers.

So during fermentation the temperature can rise a few degrees above the ambient temperature? Would it benefit me to lower the temperature of the house to around 58-62 degrees while an IPA is fermenting in my living room closet?

I would say no, because depending on the type of yeast used that would probably just slow the fermentation down. On White Labs website they say the optimum fermentation temperature for their ale yeasts is between 65 and 73 degrees, again depending on the strain.

So during fermentation the temperature can rise a few degrees above the ambient temperature? Would it benefit me to lower the temperature of the house to around 58-62 degrees while an IPA is fermenting in my living room closet?

Fermentation is an exothermic reaction. Hence, it produces heat!

joety, you have 12 kegs on tap, that's the greatest thing I've ever heard. Can I move in with you? Just kidding.

Sadly I only have four faucets on my keezer, so I really only have four on tap at any given time. The inventory is definitely building up though and I have four more kegs on order from morebeer as of this morning (great black friday sale going on).

Back