Steeping grains: a question of process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locusta

Reaction score
So we're interested in improving our process for brewing on our electric stove and I was wondering if how we handle the steeping grains might be having an effect on the color (tends to be a bit dark) and maybe flavor (tastes good but could be better) of our beer.

We have been following the process we received with our first kit which has us steeping the grains from tap until the temperature reaches 165 or 170 F. I'd say this takes about 30 to 45 minutes when heating about 3 gallons. This is pretty easy for us.

But... Most of what I read is that we should steep the grains at 150 for 30 minutes. That is harder because it's tough to control the temp on our stove.

Is one process really superior to the other? If the second one is really better, does anyone have a suggestion on how to temp control on the stove top better?

So we're interested in improving our process for brewing on our electric stove and I was wondering if how we handle the steeping grains might be having an effect on the color (tends to be a bit dark) and maybe flavor (tastes good but could be better) of our beer.

We have been following the process we received with our first kit which has us steeping the grains from tap until the temperature reaches 165 or 170 F. I'd say this takes about 30 to 45 minutes when heating about 3 gallons. This is pretty easy for us.

But... Most of what I read is that we should steep the grains at 150 for 30 minutes. That is harder because it's tough to control the temp on our stove.

Is one process really superior to the other? If the second one is really better, does anyone have a suggestion on how to temp control on the stove top better?

What you're doing is fine. Darker color is probably coming from boiling the extract, which darkens with boiling due to maillard reactions, especially if you're boiling a smaller volume and topping up with water.

To get a lighter color in the finished beer, you could try adding the majority of the extract at flame out. That will really help with darkening. Try using about 1 pound of extract per gallon of water in the boil, and then when you're all done boiling, turn off the heat and add the rest of the extract. Then cool the wort, and top up to five gallons.

Depending on what method someone uses to heat their water, can't the time it takes to reach 170F vary quite a bit? And wouldn't that time variance have an effect on how the grains effect the end result at all?

Thanks for the quick response Yooper. We'll give the late extract addition a try this weekend. I guess I was concerned that if I was over-steeping the grains I could get some overly bitter tastes (like steeping tea leaves), so it's good to know that my technique isn't out of left field.

I would steep the grains in a smaller pot. Heat 2-3 quarts of water per pound of grains in a smaller pot to about 165°F then pull off the heat, throw in the grains and cover. It should stay around 150-155°F for at least half an hour.

When I use grains it is a 3 pot process. First I get my boil kettle heating with my boil volume minus about 1 1/2 gallon. One pot I heat up about half a gallon of water to 165°F then throw in the crushed grains without a bag, pull off the heat and cover. In the third pot I heat a gallon of water till it boils then shut it down. After the grains are done steeping I pour them through a stainless steel strainer into the boil kettle. Then I pour the gallon of water I heated up through the grains to rinse them a bit. This way my water is heated up a bit during the time I was steeping and I don't have to worry about the grains going over a temperature. I also don't have to worry about buying a grain bag for every batch. I know it kind of dirties a couple more pots but with grain bags I always felt I was leaving flavor behind.

I know water levels don't matter as much with steeping grains,but 2-3qts per pound is a lot. Since I do partial mash,partial boil biab,1.5 quarts per pound is the norm. But using a smaller kettle for steeping can be a good thing with small amounts of grains. I wrap it up either way in my insulated heavy winter hunting coat for the steep or mash. I keep my floating thermometer in it the whole time. It holds temp so well,that it actually goes up 1 degree on average. I had the same problem maintaining mash temp on our electric stove,so I had to come up with something better. My solution is simple & effective.
And the nylon paint strainer bags are really easy to rinse clean. I save the muslin grain sacks for whole leaf hops.

Like the above poster said, heat to 160 or so and kill the heat. I use one of those thin enameled aluminum canning kettles and it doesn't get below 150 through the half hour steep. You're not mashing so holding the precise temp isn't crucial. If you refrigerate your grains bring them to room temp before steeping or they can pull a lot of heat out of the water.

With the grains at room temperature, about 70°F, 1/2 gallon of water will drop about 10°F if you start at 165°F. Depends on the weight of the grains of course.

Maybe it was 1-2 quarts of water per pound. I forget. I usually just go with 1/2 gallon.

Thanks Logan for the alternative method. I unfortunately don't currently have multiple kettles, so it might be some time before I can give it a try. I do have my regular (kitchen) pots, but they have a non-stick coating on them. Is that something I should avoid using?

I wouldn't use anything that's been seasoned. If you have a thinsulate lined winter coat,get the mash/steep up to temp,then wrap it up in that & leave it for 30 or 60 minutes,depending on whether you're steeping or mashing. Works well for me.

Back