Steeping Carahell - amount question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I have two hefeweizen's I will be doing likely this weekend. They are both a bit different for experimentation purposes but both so far have 1lb Carahell for steeping in the recipe I made up. The question is this - all guidelines checkout perfectly fine in Beersmith, but Weyermann's website spec sheet for Carahell says "Up to 15% of total grain bill for lower-gravity beers". These beers are both almost 5% ABV and Beersmith shows the Carahell at about 15% of the grain bill. The estimated OG's of these two beers is 1.049.

Does 1lb sound ok? I've seen some recipes where Carahell was used and the amounts were typically 8oz so this is why I'm asking.

Rev.

was that 1lb in each batch, or 1lb split?

also, it sounds like this is an extract batch, if so the 15% isn't totally accurate since IIRC it should be based on an AG bill.

I was thinking 1lb each but looking at some hefe recipes today with carahell I see most use 8oz. And yeah, it's an extract batch with the carahell steeped.

Rev.

1lb is way too much for a hefe, many hefes dont even use crystal. I wouldnt go over 8oz per batch

Back