Steep Days before Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Govna

Reaction score
I have a strange question. I tend to get my extract kits days (or even weeks) before I have time to brew them. The problem is that my specialty grains come already ground so they often go stale. Anyone every tried steeping and then refrigerating the wort days before brewing the actual batch?

Yea I would think steeping now and storing in liquid form would be even worse. Throw em in the freezer and brew ASAP. If you're worried try to coordinate your shopping and brewing better in the future....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Okay. I've tried the freezer and I feel like it helps, but after a week or two they're still stale. :mad:

A thin-ish plastic bag in with a twist-tie on it. Maybe I should double bag w/a ziplock?

Grains don't go stale that fast.

Your source may be the problem.

Mashing grains and then keeping them days before boiling may result in a sour, but would still be beer.

The steeping grains in the kits I buy from Northern Brewer come in sealed, oxygen-purged bags. I've had kits sit on the shelf for many months with no degradation of quality. They also guarantee their kits 100%, no questions asked.

Really? I've gotten a few from there too, but they've just been in regular bags. You paying them extra on the side? ;)

Back