Steehead Pump Parts/Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Steelhead Pump from Northern Brewer. It is from before the buyout, and I believe it would be considered a v1.0 pump, not the new one they sell.

The last couple brews I have trouble getting the pump started. When switched on it seems to "lock up" in position. When gently pushing the cooling fan blades in an effort to get it to rotate, it feels like the motor is magnetically locked in place.

In both cases taking the pump head apart and re-assembling has made it work just fine. Any idea what is wrong?

Also, when taking it apart I noticed that there is a small white washer or disk between the impeller and the stainless steel head that is worn in two. It appears to be something that helps the pump head rotate against the steel head. Any idea where I could get a replacement for that? Google searching indicates that it might be the same as a March pump, but the selection of March pumps is bewildering and I'm not sure where to start. I've found replacement impellers, but not small parts like that washer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back