SteamRunner Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodson

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
YEAST STRAIN: 3724 | Belgian Saison
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days
Tasting Notes
A slightly tart, refreshing beer. The yeast produces a distinct citrus/spicy aroma an
Fermentables
6 lbs Pilsner Malt Extract
2 lbs Munich
4 lbs fresh red grapes

Grains
.5 lbs Golden Naked Oats
.5 lbs Honey Malt

Hops
.5 oz Perle (60 minutes)
2 oz Mt Hood (15 minutes)

Yeast
Wyeast 3724 | Belgian Saison

Steep grains at 160 degrees for 30 minutes.
Heat 2 lbs whole grape to 150 and turn off heat. Remove and puree and add to wort at flameout.

When racking to secondary, repeat the grape process with last 2 lbs and rack onto grape puree.

I was really nervous about ending with a wine/beer hybrid especially since I this was my second batch ever. Turned out great with a light tart flavor.

27544-post-picture-your-pint-0611112028.jpg

recipe lookks great anyone else try this???? goin to attempt this weekend any tips or hints would be great, like freezing grapes to break up skins or bottleing with grape juice or, or , or help

Definitely use a grain bag for the puree. That is unless you are kegging or like skins in the beer. The skins clogged my bottling tube constantly. I just used fresh grapes without freezing them. Make sure to double check your FG before bottling. I was too quick to bottle and have had a number of bottle bombs due to the addition of the fruit.

I have this entered in the Gnarly Barley Brew Fest here in CO so we will see how it does. Please let me know how it goes!

so is the fg of 1.012 correct, im in ny so its been in the 90's an high 80's think this should finish lil less then that but im not sure.Sure it cant be bad dryer thinks for the tips this is gonna be my first partial mash friday so all fermentales in then grains in muslin bag anything super new guys missing?btw thanks alot for your help

It stayed like that for about 3-5 mins. It was pretty good. The FG may end a little lower than 1.012. Just check it for a couple days in a row and bottle when it stabilizes.

thank you for your help gonna be brewing recipe friday nite thanks for the info good luck in your contest andi might annoy you more some 2moro if i have any more questions thanks again

we nailed the og spot on, very surpised for first p.m., yeast seems to be slowing down so i put a heating pad next to it even though closet had a temp of 83 this morning gonna try to keep it upwards of 90 has been 86 in daytime lately when i get home in the cooler part of the day any stalling for you and how did you score?

I didn't really have any stalling but the grapes fermented for longer than expected so I had a few bottle bombs. No scores at brew comp. Probably because I tried rebottling some so they would not explode, therefore going flat.

That sucks then I might not add the grapes into secondary and ill just prime my bottles with grape concentrate, or the beer will need a long ageing time thanks for the info though better luck on next comp

If you wait for the FG to stabilize you should have no problem with bottle bombs. I was too eager and forgot to check FG.

well ill continue on as planned then, but wait till fg of 1.000 then seems to bemagic number for this yeast, so what did you prime with normal corn sugar and how much?

Did you use seedless grapes, or seeded grapes? Would it make a difference with tannin levels? What exactly is a puree? Is it blended to almost a mush, or is it just a few spins with the blender to break open the grapes?

Did you use seedless grapes, or seeded grapes? Would it make a difference with tannin levels? What exactly is a puree? Is it blended to almost a mush, or is it just a few spins with the blender to break open the grapes?

I would like to revive this thread with the same question. I have a slightly modified version of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale in primary, plan it to secondary on 2-3 pounds of grapes and some dark char oak cubes in an attempt to replicate a chardonnay barrel aging. I am not concerned over the time it would take, as I have three other brews going and can wait until summer to bottle if that is what it takes.

Thoughts?

Back