steam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost

Reaction score
So I just bought my wife a steam cleaner and I had a thought. I have a massive pressure cooker that I sometimes use to generate steam for step mashes. It's a pain and it takes a good bit of propane to get it going. This new steamer may be a nice, easy to set up, electric alternative.

I did a search and I didn't see any threads on using an electric steamer instead of the traditional pressure cooker method.

Before you say anything about sanitation and contamination, this isn't the sort of steamer that uses any sort of solvents. Just water. It has a hose that I'm pretty sure I can rig to the copper manifold I currently use. My only concern is that it won't generate enough pressure to get the steam into the MLT... but this is a "pressurized" unit with a trigger so this may not be an issue. Unless anyone gives me any compelling reason not to, I think I'm going to try it out on my next run. Maybe a wheat beer so I have a good reason to do step mashing.

I'm also thinking this thing may be a good quick way to sanitize things although I currently use starsan in a spray bottle and that has worked very well. Anyhow, it might be a nice supplemental method. Something to consider anyway.

Oh, the steamer I bought her is here:
Amazon.com: Wagner Spray Tech 282004 1,500-Watt On-Demand Power Steamer: Home Improvement

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about the Watts baby.

1500 W of heat from any source will raise the temperature of a liter of water by 21.5C in a minute. Or raise the temp of 21.5L of water by 1C per minute.

This is probably good for a 5 gallon batch, marginal for a 10.

Cheers

Back