Steam Whistle Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonic2020

Reaction score
So I've been searching for over a year for a good clone of Steam Whistle. I have had no luck at all so I decided to contact the brewery in hopes of some help. Here is the response I got.

Good day Darcy,

Thank you for kind words about our Steam Whistle Pilsner and my apology for delay in my answering.

We are not keeping any secret about our ingredients, so here you are:
2 row Canadian malt from Alberta or Saskatchewan; Caledon spring water;
hops: bittering German Perle and Czech Premiant, aromatic German Spalt and Czech Saazer Saaz; yeast originate from Swiss brewery Hurlimann, but we get these from Hungarian supplier.

Starting gravity is 11.8 - 11.9° P.

I wish you good luck with your homebrewing effort.

Best regards,
Marek Mikunda
SWB

it'll take a bit of work but at least I have a good start.

enjoy.

Nice one. Used to drink a lot of this when i lived in Toronto. The missus always brings me a six pack back when she and the kids are over visiting the inlaws. Will give this a go for sure!

Ok I'm looking for a grain bill for steam whistle because I can't fine one anywhere!!! Anyone got any ideas?!?!

Ok what i got so far is just limited to 2 row pale malt, bavarian and czech full leaf hops and bottom feeding lager yeast! If anyone has anything else please let me know

Ok this is the recipe i came up with and its on deck i will update after it is brewed to let you know how it turns out....

Hobbit Lager

5 gallons
All Grain
1.043~OG→1.012~FG→4.1%ABV 48 IBU 2.7°L SRM
Yeasts
0.92 gallons
2124 - Bohemian Lager
Wyeast (Lager) 0.92 gallons

Fermentables
8 pounds
2 Row Base
36ppg, 2°L 8 pounds
100%

Hops
3 ounces
Saaz
4%, Leaf 2 ounces
67%
Perle
13%, Pellet 1 ounce
33%

Miscellaneous
(null)

Steep
1 hour, 4 gallons
Steep 4 gallons
153°F

Boil
80 minutes, 5.95 gallons
Perle hops
13%, Pellet 1 ounce
60 minutes (+20)
Add wort chiller 15 minutes (+65)
Saaz hops
4%, Leaf 2 ounces
0 minutes (+80)

Ferment
14 days @ 50°F, 25 days @ 42°F
Rack to secondary (42°F) 25 days (+14 days)

Sent from my iPhone

Any results on this? I'm from Pennsylvania but make my way to Ontario a few times a year and absolutely love Steam Whistle so doing something at home would be great.

Sorry...didn't realize you just started this last week before my post, but I am interested to know how this turns out for you.

Cheers.

Went on the tour today and got a bit of info about the ingredients. The guide was a bit tight lipped about specifics though.

-Malt: 2-row

-Hops: Saaz, Perle and Spalter

-No info about yeast, but the brewmaster used to work at Pilsner Urquell, so I'm assuming a strain similar to theirs

-Water is shipped in from Caledon, Ontario. I'm sure water reports could be obtained for the area

-Decoction mash using 1/3 of the mash

-They use first wort hopping and a 60 minute addition. Didn't mention anything about aroma or flavour additions.

-Naturally carbonated (which surprised me most)

Went on the tour today and got a bit of info about the ingredients. The guide was a bit tight lipped about specifics though.

-Malt: 2-row

-Hops: Saaz, Perle and Spalter

-No info about yeast, but the brewmaster used to work at Pilsner Urquell, so I'm assuming a strain similar to theirs

-Decoction mash

-They use first wort hopping and a 60 minute addition. Didn't mention anything about aroma or flavour additions.

-Naturally carbonated (which surprised me most)

Did you like the beer? I see that people like it but I just didn't care for it. And I really like beer. Maybe I'll try and brew it.

I do, actually. I live about 20 minutes away from the brewery and liked it from the day I tried it. It does taste best in the heat of summer, but I'd gladly drink it during the colder months.

Cool, I'm about 3 hours away near Rochester. I liked that place, very thorough tour. Pulling the whistle was a nice topper!

Hahaha yeah, the whistle is a pretty nice touch. The best I could tell was that it was being run off the steam from the bottle cleaning machine. The tour was great, the history behind the place was really interesting and much more rich than I could have anticipated.

So lets start this again. Has any one tried brewing a Steam Whistle clone ? If so please share recipe or results .

Well it's been awhile and I see no one has responded to this so far. This weekend I will be trying a recipe that we have come up with. Hope it works.

I have just recently been researching Steam Whistle in order to make a clone and have all the basic details. I'm currently working out a recipe and am very interested in what you have come up with so far.

I should add that the biggest issue seems to revolve around the fact that they use a double decoction process. This adds difficulty and time to a homebrew process involving an infusion mash. There seems to be two ways around this. The first is to do what they do when they make Innis & Gunn. Rather than do a decoction mash, take, say the first gallon of runnings and boil it down separately until it carmelizes, say down to one quart. Meanwhile, boil the rest of the runnings as usual, adding the hops, etc. and later add the carmelized runnings. The only problem is that it would likely take more than a couple of hours to boil down the runnings to a quarter volume, unless perhaps a wide pan is used. The other way that I read about is to add a little crystal malt for colour and caramel flavour, and a little dextrin malt for body to simulate the taste/colour.

steam whistle was highly carbonated urine 8 years ago the last time i tried it and i assume it is today.

Any results from this brew???
Yes, mine turned out close, but I couldn't quite achieve that flavour they get with the double decoction, even with adding a little melanoidin.

I'm planning another Steam Whistle brew this weekend, using a pseudo decoction method this time, to try to achieve that "special" flavour.

Just as a point of order, Fermentis say that their Saflager S-189 dry yeast originated at Hürlimann and I think one can assume WLP885 Zürich does too, so they would be first choices for yeast.

Just as a point of order, Fermentis say that their Saflager S-189 dry yeast originated at Hürlimann and I think one can assume WLP885 Zürich does too, so they would be first choices for yeast.
I think you're right about WLP885. See this table which lists both S-189 and WLP885 under "Hurlimann" (they made the high alcohol Samiclaus beer).

Coincidence, since I was in Zurich just a week ago.

https://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/media/YeastComparison3.pdf

Don't take those internet lists as gospel truth - there's generally a bit of coulda-woulda-shoulda to them, particularly when it comes to the British yeasts, but in the case of Zurich it's probably OK. That's why I made a point of linking to the page where Fermentis themselves made the link to Hürlimann for S-189.

As for getting duplicate posts deleted, just Report it....

Back