Steam-resistant caulk/sealant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadbill

Reaction score
In an effort to make a silk purse out of a sows ear (what I call my 48qt. Ice cube MT:D), I ended filling the cooler top with spray insulation. The particular cooler I used had some depressions in the cooler top (a place to hold keys, a couple of bottle/can holders) which would have impeded the ability of the spray insulation to get into the nooks crannies. So I further modified the top by cutting out those pieces to open up the innards of the cooler top.

Long story short, the revamped cooler top ended up having loose piece of the lid removed from the top of the cooler, but rearranged to cover a hole on the underside of the cooler lid (facing into the cooler). This loose piece is held on by the spray insulation and I also caulked the edges to seal up the juncture between this piece with the lid. Problem solved I thought.

Here is my problem: Whenever I mash in the cooler, the steam from the mash causes the caulk to pull away and the steam can get at the spray insulation underneath. Steam, as it turns out, causes the spray insulation to expand a bit. Everything stays in place, but I worry about mold in the lid as well as exposure of my mash to chemicals in the spray insulation and/or caulk.

Any recommendation for a high temperature, steam resistant caulk to seal these lid pieces together? The caulk I used was a general purpose variety for odd jobs around the house.

Thanks!

Try using clear silicone. They use it to seal boiler plates together so it must be high temp rated. Be advised that silicone is a pain to work with. It's not water based so make the cut in the tip as small as posible and work your way up. Good Luck

Back