Steam Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so, I am going to attempt to make a "lighter" style beer for SWMBO... She is not one that likes the heavier ales... She likes Blue Moon, Bud Light (I know, don't remind me), Miller Light, etc. I am wondering what steam beers taste like, if they would be something she might enjoy, or if I should attempt a lighter Pale Ale. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Shane

Go with a wheat. I have my first steam beer in bottles now, and it is relatively light, but still quite flavorful. I would get her drinking something that she is definitely going to like, then move to a steam beer or a pale ale or something, and gradually just make something heavier and heavier, and maybe she won't even notice.

But to start with: a wheat, blonde or cream tend to be the agreed upon SWMBO beers

The "real" steam beer is the original California common, Anchor steam. I love it, but when I first tried it I found it hoppy (?) and bitter. It's not really a "chick beer" so to speak.

Does she like a beer like Genesee Cream Ale, or Little Kings? Cream ales are pretty easy to make, and a good beer for people who like lighter beers but want to try some craft beers.

The "real" steam beer is the original California common, Anchor steam. I love it, but when I first tried it I found it hoppy (?) and bitter. It's not really a "chick beer" so to speak.

Does she like a beer like Genesee Cream Ale, or Little Kings? Cream ales are pretty easy to make, and a good beer for people who like lighter beers but want to try some craft beers.

I am almost positive she has never had one of either of those. She is always very open to trying to the good stuff I buy, but the darker heavier beers, she is just not a fan of, nor is she a fan of extremely bitter or heavy hopped beers. She just cares for the lighter beers in color and taste. A cream ale sounds like a winner. Anyone know of a good recipe?

I'd vote for German Hef, Cream, Blond, in that order. (Unless she hates clove and banana, then scratch the hef)

Also I agree with Yooper. A steam beer to style has a fair amount of bitterness coming from multiple Northern Brewer additions. It's not IPA kinda bitterness, but it it is present. She might like it, but the other beers are better bets to someone just moving into craft beers from the BMC side.

Swmbo slayer!!!! Especially if she is a blue moon fan. It's not the same a blue moon but I think it falls into the same category. Do a search on here for the recipe. There are extract instructions on post 15 of the thread if you don't do AG.

I have been having a lot of success getting the ladies to drink and enjoy Jamil's Ordinary Bitter (my first All-Grain beer and it came out great).

Back