steam beer critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerlord

Reaction score
Want to make a California common style, never made one. I'm using Lager yeast becasue i hav a nice Wyeast O'fest yeast cake to rack onto.

This is what i came up with

10lbs of 2 row
1 lb of dark munic(iput it in everythign just cuz i liek it)
1 lb of 40l crystal

1 oz of Columbus 12.2 for 60
.5 oz of cascade for 20
.5 cascade at flame out

Other stuff i have on hand is:
1 lb of victory toasted
1 lb of cara pils

.5 oz of magnum
. 5oz of liberty
1 oz sazz
13 oz of hallertau :rockin: :)
1 oz of amarillo

please discuss

Beerlord said:
:confused: no input?

Do you have a specific question? That recipe will certainly make a drinkable beer but not one that I would categorize as a Cal Common/Steam beer. A specific "Steam Beer" a la Anchor Steam would be 100% Northern Brewer hops. That is the modern definition of the style although there were breweries in the SF area making similar beers since the 19th Century using other hops. However, since the C hops in your recipe did not exist during that time frame the hops alone would take it out of the category. The yeast is also a determining factor. The Anchor yeast strain would be the most appropriate choice. Again the German yeast will make a fine beer but not quite with the same profile. :mug:

The recipe looks sound enough and Ed's comments are right on as it will be a nice drinkable beer. For me I would use Magnum to bitter and mix in the Columbus and Cascade to finish it off to the level you like. I like Victory a lot and likely would use .5 of that and cut the Crystal to .5 at the same time.

I would pay handsomely for about a pound of Magnum, I really like them as bittering hops. Good Luck with this.

Yes, basically asking about the hops, thats what I have and couldn't find anythgin else, but i did score some EKG's toady at a bop wine shop

Latest posts

Back