Steam Ale

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

D-U-K-E

Reaction score
So i Just ordered a cali common steam ale extract kit. (it will be my second ever batch!)(im hooked) Does anybody with a little more experience have any suggestions for keeping everything on track (especially with steam ale)?

Ice9

Reaction score
I just did a partial mash steam beer a week and a half ago using a Wyeast Activator smack pack Cali Common Yeast. I'm fermenting it at the low end of temp range for that yeast 57-59F. So I'm going to let it go a little longer in primary than my last couple ales. I'll probably take a gravity reading tomorrow to see where I'm at.

Depending on the yeast you are using, just watch the fermentation temp range.
I plan on sticking mine in secondary for 2 weeks and then I'll keg it and cold condition it for 3 more weeks.

Hopefully someone that's brewed one of these before will chime in with more tips for you.

Good Luck!

Professor Frink

Reaction score
Ferment it on the cool side for ales (around 60-65), other than that, it's just like a regular ale.

uglygoat

Reaction score
it's supposed to be a lager style fermented on the high side. i think of brewing a pale lager in the desert during the gold rush, with no way to control fermentation temps. then you tap it, and drink it.

Surfman

Reaction score
i kept my fermentation around 65 and it bubble away for a week and a half. its bottle conditioning now but from the samples its great.

BrewDey

Reaction score
My basement's been cool-so it fermented at about 57-62 degrees...and it took a while longer than normal ales. I think it was in the primary for 5 weeks-then bottled. Just coming around now, but it's really tasty.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
San Francisco Lager Yeast at around 60*F temps is the way to go for a steam beer! I've got one right now that i added some chocolate malt too. i think i need to rack that puppy this weekend :)

:mug:

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Steam is one of my favorite beers to make. This is making me thirsty. There is something about all those Northern Brewers and the bready yeast that rings my bell!