stc1000 question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roc2it

Reaction score
I can figure out how to wire this normally. Problem is I have a fridge with a freezer. I can't find a wiring diagram on the fridge. (Kenmore Coldspot 10679857990) I want to wire it up so I am not messing with the freezer or the defrost. I guess in place of the stock thermostat for the fridge. Then I will wire up another to run two 110v fans in the fridge. I will be able to run two 1/6 barrels and one half barrel. The fridge is already running two tappers. I just want to stay the temp fluctuations. Let me know if you can help with the wiring please. Thanks, Rocco

Well I know my fridge/freezer combo the fridge thermostat only turns a fan on to pull cold air from the freezer. Instead of wiring the stc-1000 into the fridge what if you just used it to power a fan between the fridge an freezer to pull cold air in the same manner? I would think that would be easier and safer than trying to keep your freezer running normally and with all functionality than removing the stock thermostat. Just my .02

Edited for spelling corrections.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Is it easy to remove the stock thermostat? If so could you make a few pictures of the thermostat from different sides?

Is it easy to remove the stock thermostat? If so could you make a few pictures of the thermostat from different sides?

I wouldn't know if I is or isn't. I have my chest freezer plugged Into an STC controlled power outlet for heat/cold.
I was only commenting that instead of removing his thermostat it might just be easier to have the STC-1000 control a fan placed where the refrigerator pulls cold air from the freezer. That way his fridge would still be stock and fully functional but he would still be able to drop fridge temps colder than normal. I think.

Sent from somewhere to someone

if you find the stock thermostat, there will be a recessed screw that when turned to increase tension either raises the temps or lowers the temps that the thermostat functions at. its the coarse adjustment. there is a thread on here about it or search youtube, there's a video of a guy doing it to a chest freezer. by doing that, at keg temps your freezer will probably still be frozen.

I am working right now but even I get off this morning I will shoot a quick pic of the controls.

I will be adding a tap and regulator when I do this project.

2014-03-12 07.04.04.png

2014-03-12 07.03.47.png

I see what he is talking about but I wanted to make my digital with more control. I plan on making a panel that I can pull off this fridge when it dies and just mount to another so all I have to do is drill the holes and away I go, The panel will be supported by the holes for the tappers and The panel will also have the drip tray mounted to it. Easy and not so cheesey! That's one reason I was posting on here as to find someone with not only beer knowledge but electrical knowledge as to how a refrigerator works with the thermostat and compressor.

BTW,I have an Ugly Drum Smoker that I want to hook a blower to with one of these controllers. What thermocoupler could I use to do this and where is it available from in the US?

Hopefully this thread is not dead. I go back to work tomorrow night for 5 12.5 hour days. If ya got answers please join in!

Standard configuration for a residential refrigerator/freezer is a primary thermostat that controls compressor cycling based on freezer temperatures. The evaporator is in the freezer section with a fan that circulates air across it.

The fridge section's "thermostat" is usually a mechanical control of a louver that controls the amount of freezer air that runs through the fridge compartment. This can take the form of an electrical control that controls a fan that would control the amount of freezer air that moves through the fridge compartment. You'll really need to perform a close inspection to determine how your particular fridge conducts business.

The easiest and most reversable control will be an external controller on the entire unit. If you don't want to impact freezer operation/temperatures, you will need to focus on controlling the air flow between the two compartments. In the end, it may not provide the tight control you desire, be completely reversable or easily transferable to another unit.

I want to thank you for that very informative post. I looked but have not had time to tear into the fridge to figure out which way it is. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Basically all refrigerators are freezers (if they can get down that far....) I will start looking again in 5 days at stuff. Too many hours to play during the work week!

Back