STC-1000 wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lstewartff

Reaction score
I got my STC-1000 yesterday and have been thinking about what wire to use. I was thinking about just buying a 25ft extension cord and cut it up but the one I was looking at is only 16 gauge. Then I worried that it might be to small of wire to handle a fridge. What size wire did you guys use to wire yours?

I suggest using 14 gauge. That way, when the fridge kicks on and you get the initial power surge, it can handle it easily. 14 is also going to be better if you have it in a box and have a couple other things plugged into it.

I agree, I would definitely recommend 14 as well. A lot of times extension cords are not really meant to be cut up and used in wiring either, but that is (somewhat) a different topic...

Would I be better off using solid wire instead? I can buy 14 gauge SJ cord but it should be the same as the extension cord. What type wire has most of you guys used?

go to youtube and type in STC-1000 controller build gives you complete instructions on build and what wire to use.

I went 14 AWG in mine, stranded wire. Stranded is easier with terminal blocks imo. 16 AWG still handles 22A of current which should be more than enough for the typical freezer/refrigerator, but I like to add buffer and wanted sturdier wire.

Back