STC-1000 Probe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of searching, but I can't seem to find an answer that satisfies my situation. I got an STC-1000 for my fermentation chamber. I've read about sticking it to the outside of a carboy, but I don't like that option. It just doesn't seem like it can effectively register the temperature. What's more, if I have carboys/fermenters of different materials, the correction factor should be different.

So, I was thinking of using a thermowell, but I won't be able to order one in time. My questions are thus:

1) I've read about people saying this should be submergible. Is it true that I can just sanitize it and drop it in the wort, then run the cable out the carboy cap?

2) I'm thinking of making a thermowell with some stainless I already have. I bought Silicone from HD a while back (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/ge-ii-window-door-clear-caulk-98-oz-ge5000-24c.html) and was wondering if it would be safe to use as a sealant for the thermowell (I have a feeling, no).

3) Are there any other/better recommended methods of doing this in a pinch?

It works well to attach it to the outside of the fermenter covered by some bubble wrap or other insulation. The temperature gradient through the wall of the fermenter will be negligible as long as the probe is insulated from the air in the chamber.

It works well to attach it to the outside of the fermenter covered by some bubble wrap or other insulation. The temperature gradient through the wall of the fermenter will be negligible as long as the probe is insulated from the air in the chamber.

I tested it with a glass of water, maybe that was too small a vessel to test with? I'd much rather do it with taping, so I'll give it a shot.

Thanks

Maybe I'm not getting why you don't want to attach to the outside... but for me I go this route every time. I tested with water in my better bottle. Set ferm chamber to 64 over night with probe strapped to the carboy with a bungee cord and insulated with a small towel. Came back the next day, used a beer thief and actual water temp with my thermoworks thermometer was 64.2. Good enough for me at least, I'm pretty happy with my beer.

Maybe I'm not getting why you don't want to attach to the outside... but for me I go this route every time. I tested with water in my better bottle. Set ferm chamber to 64 over night with probe strapped to the carboy with a bungee cord and insulated with a small towel. Came back the next day, used a beer thief and actual water temp with my thermoworks thermometer was 64.2. Good enough for me at least, I'm pretty happy with my beer.

What I was getting at was that I'd go that route and maybe my test wasn't sufficient. If everyone else is doing it, that's good enough for me

Back