STC-1000 for Perlick Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrix

Reaction score
Wanted to check with the community to see if my plans raised any red flags with the more electricity-savvy folks. We have an old Perlick 5063ESC kegerator with an analog thermostat that I would like to override with an STC-1000.

Because the compressor is plugged into a separate internal outlet (controlled by the built-in thermostat), my plan is to wire the STC-1000 between that outlet and the compressor, set the thermostat to its coldest setting, and enjoy more precise control over the kegerator's temperature while still having the evaporator fan running and a functional light inside...

Anyone see an issue with the kegerator's "Min. Circuit Ampacity" of 8.6A and the STC-1000's 10A rating?

Kegerator nameplate.jpg

Kegerator Wiring Diagram.png

You should be fine, that rating is for the initial staring of the compressor. The continuous load will be less than the 8.6 amp rating. I would fuse the connection between the compressor and the stc.

I would use a 10A max. The unit will only pull a continuous draw of ~2-4A. Momentary draw would still be under that of the rated fuse.

Back