STC-1000 Calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingchr1

Reaction score
I have my keezer set for 45F. The keezer is in my garage, for which this time of year is also around 45F or less. Since both are about the same I didn't expect the keezer to cycle that much, but I have noticed it cycling more than I would have thought. I got around to checking the calibration of STC-1000 and found it to be around 1C too high. I then checked my other two STCs, in fermentation chambers, and found those also to be reading high. I calibrated all three of them using a calibrated CDN digital thermometer. This was the first time that I have checked the STCs.

I just wanted to share that it's probably a good idea to periodically check the calibration of your instruments.

so did you set your off set (f4) to -1.0 or 1.0? I believe that is what that function is for, though i could be wrong. I'll be calibrating all my brew day and beer gear temp probes soon as my beers have been coming out a touch thin.

If it were me, I'd check all your thermometers (including the "calibrated" one) semi-routinely in a proper ice bath. What was once calibrated may no longer be. I don't consider any thermometer to be worthy of calibrating others, they can all lose calibration over time. Even my thermapen gets checked in ice water.

so did you set your off set (f4) to -1.0 or 1.0?

I offset F4 to -1.0

When you say "reads too high" do you mean the STC1000 reading is 20C when the actual liquid temp is only 19C??

Yes

If it were me, I'd check all your thermometers (including the "calibrated" one) semi-routinely in a proper ice bath..

I did calibrate the CDN in an ice bath just prior to using it to check the STCs.

Back