State Brewing Laws/ TN Beer Law Victory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdr

Reaction score
Thought I'd post some new interesting information!

I moved to TN about 6 months ago (from NJ) to immediately find out that it was technically illegal to brew beer that is over 5% ABV. By law, the definition of beer in TN is a beverage less than 5% ABV. Anything over that range would be considered "making liquor".

This also means that brewpubs/breweries are limited in what they can make, unless they file for the same licenses that would make them a distillery ($$$). It is my belief that this dampers TN brewery's ability to compete with the national brewing scene.

Recently, a bill was passed that will change the definition of beer to 8% ABV. This is to take effect in July of 2015. I assume it means that it will finally be legal to brew beers up to 8% ABV for both breweries and home-brewers. The TN Brewers Guild had a large role in the creation of the bill.

Although it is still kind of lame that there is a limit, or false definition of beer, I believe that this is definitely a small victory for craft beer and homebrew in the state of TN!

Does anyone else have similar limitations to what you can "legally" brew?

Cheers! :mug:

I was at a malting conference in MA a couple weekends ago, and I believe there was a brewer who mentioned that his limit as a "brew pub license" was 12%. I just can't remember if he was located in MA or NY.

No idea on homebrew though

Ohio is currently at 12% ABV. Legislators are trying to get this changed to 21% to attract more breweries.

Me too.

=edit=

Although I did brew a wee heavy today with my neighbor(a cop) while enjoying the last of my previous one with him...
Wonder if he knew?

I've actually had a cop out here ask to buy some off me... haha... so I don't think many are aware. At least where I am, the brewing scene is little to none. Completely different than back in Jersey.

Haha, I can just picture a raid on a home brewer's fermentors, except instead of Glocks the cops are armed with hydrometers and refractometers!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

The founding fathers were all about home brewing, every household brewed their own, there weren't any stores to buy any beer.
They probably neglected to put freedom to brew in the bill of rights because even the tyrannical king of England didn't stop home brewing in any way. See how tyranny creeps in and takes over? Thats why need need to vigorously protect our rights.

In South Carolina it was unlawful to brew beer >6% abv. About 3 years ago our governor signed a law allowing high gravity beers though I don't know if his law has an upper limit or not.

Texas used to have laws where beers below a certain ABV had to be labeled as beer and labeled as ales above that limit. It kept a lot of breweries out of Texas because they'd have to reprint labels. Thank God that changed a few years ago.

The government has no real business telling you what ABV % your homebrewed beers should or shouldn't be. "Apple Jack" was made by the founding fathers and that is WAY over 5% ABV.

Thought I'd post some new interesting information!

I moved to TN about 6 months ago (from NJ) to immediately find out that it was technically illegal to brew beer that is over 5% ABV. By law, the definition of beer in TN is a beverage less than 5% ABV. Anything over that range would be considered "making liquor".

This also means that brewpubs/breweries are limited in what they can make, unless they file for the same licenses that would make them a distillery ($$$). It is my belief that this dampers TN brewery's ability to compete with the national brewing scene.

Recently, a bill was passed that will change the definition of beer to 8% ABV. This is to take effect in July of 2015. I assume it means that it will finally be legal to brew beers up to 8% ABV for both breweries and home-brewers. The TN Brewers Guild had a large role in the creation of the bill.

Although it is still kind of lame that there is a limit, or false definition of beer, I believe that this is definitely a small victory for craft beer and homebrew in the state of TN!

Does anyone else have similar limitations to what you can "legally" brew?

Cheers! :mug:

Small correction: the limit before was 5% ABW (alcohol by weight) in TN, which translates into the more common 6.25% ABV. The new bill goes to 8% ABW/10% ABV.

Any legislation that is passed that enhances the craft of home brewing is a win no matter what. Even if people have been brewing for years exceeding the allowable ABV. One thing that really started to fascinate me was the amount of legislation and the AHA's involvement in all of that. I really had no idea it was such a big deal TBH. I think I take for granted what I'm allowed to do.

I think I take for granted what I'm allowed to do.

Free men don't need permission.
I think that was the point i was trying to convey.
A group of people running around calling themselves `the govt` really don't have authority to lord over you and tell you what you may or may not do in your own home that causes no harm to anyone.
Sure it's dandy that the law is becoming less oppressive/tyrannical but there shouldn't BE any law regarding it.
Just my 2 cents.

Free men don't need permission.
I think that was the point i was trying to convey.
A group of people running around calling themselves `the govt` really don't have authority to lord over you and tell you what you may or may not do in your own home that causes no harm to anyone.
Sure it's dandy that the law is becoming less oppressive/tyrannical but there shouldn't BE any law regarding it.
Just my 2 cents.

I couldn't agree more and while I do believe I come off as quite apathetic about the government being involved in something they should not be, I'm not entirely. There should not be any law, but there is and if the law is loosening, then I'm all for it. We'll never get them out of the business though. I just don't see that happening.

Wow news to me, what a croc, land of the free? Should be able to brew what you want and grow what you want

Small correction: the limit before was 5% ABW (alcohol by weight) in TN, which translates into the more common 6.25% ABV. The new bill goes to 8% ABW/10% ABV.

Thank You! I knew some stores and brewpubs carry beers up to 6.2%, but I couldn't figure out why. This makes much more sense. I'm glad to see everyone getting angry about it. The more people become aware and make their voices heard, the faster laws will change.

Regardless whether or not we actually practice these laws at the homebrewing level, it is just a "matter of fact" kind of thing. I personally like to have the mentality that I'm a law abiding citizen. Some individuals that I've shared homebrew with have asked if brewing is legal, which it is, but I'd like to say that what I brew is completely legal (which it 100% should be, regardless of the ABV). Like, ooo, sorry this is actually considered illegal because the FG dropped too low. Like really?

A few years ago in NJ, you were supposed to have a homebrewing license which had to be renewed every so often. Of course there were fees involved. Some in the homebrew club actually paid for these. Anyways, the brewing community lobbied and had that law taken away. Power in numbers.

. Like, ooo, sorry this is actually considered illegal because the FG dropped too low. Like really?

This.

A Mans home is his castle, where he is the ruler. Mind public affairs if need be, but stay the hell out of my homebrewery.

Honestly not even sure what the South Dakota laws are regarding homebrew, nor do I really care. Law enforcement doesn't have a ton to do around here, but I bet they've still got better things to do than checking up on me.

Not sure what the ABV limit is here either, but I know Crow Peak makes beers in the 9%+ range, so it must be at least 10%.

Back