Starting us05 out cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
m3n00b, How did this end up working out for you?.. Did you get the peach notes you were looking for? I'm fermenting a side by side with 05 at 58* and Conan at 66* at the moment.

I was just browsing because I haven't seen any activity in 30 or so hours with 2 packs of rehydrated 05. I was wondering if that's too cold to get started, but it looks like it should be ok. Now that I think about it, I had a batch at 66* take around 36 hours. 05 has been very slow for me every time compared to 04, the low temps probably amplify that.

m3n00b, How did this end up working out for you?.. Did you get the peach notes you were looking for? I'm fermenting a side by side with 05 at 58* and Conan at 66* at the moment.

I was just browsing because I haven't seen any activity in 30 or so hours with 2 packs of rehydrated 05. I was wondering if that's too cold to get started, but it looks like it should be ok. Now that I think about it, I had a batch at 66* take around 36 hours. 05 has been very slow for me every time compared to 04, the low temps probably amplify that.

Did three straight batches at 57. Took off quickly and finished quickly (a couple days) HOLY PEACH BATMAN! No need to even add hops. I would not say its a conan-like nice peach either. Completely covered up a pretty big dry hop and hop stand

Sorry, but the epic peach thing just slays me. It's classic US-05 run cool.

Get up around 64°-66°F to get to "neutral"...

Cheers!

Well that's dissapointing. This was an expensive recipe. Have you tried a little warmer, maybe 60*?

Warmer is fine...I usually switch to Notty over the winter for a nice clean profile...just had a brain fart and forgot. I like it at 65-70.

I've since brewed a dozen badges with u s 05 fermented in the high 50s and they all have turned out great. I love the peach notes in these big IPAs. They can take a couple of days to take off but have always been fine for me.

Back