Starting us05 out cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
Anyone ever pitch us05 in the high 50s? My 1.075 dipa has been at 58 for 15 hours now and fermentation hasn't started. I rehydrated. Usually I have bubbles in just a few hours when fermenting in the 60s. I want the fruity character us05 can give when fermented cold.

58 is pretty consistent for my basement over the winter and I've never had an issue with any yeast. I do tend to get a little peach from the yeast at this temp

58 is pretty consistent for my basement over the winter and I've never had an issue with any yeast. I do tend to get a little peach from the yeast at this temp

Nice!!! That's what I'm looking for. How long does it take to start?

Did you use one pack and not rehydrate? If so, that combined with the low temp is why you're having an extended lag.

Well ****. Its been 24 hours and fermentation still hasn't started. What now? I used one pack and rehydrated first.

When I use 05 it usually takes 24 to 36 hrs to see anything happening (at 66* rehydrated)

I wouldn't worry about it.

Okay thanks. I have a two week old snpa clone on us05 that is just added dry hops to. Maybe I can get some of that slurry if fermentation doesn't start by tomorrow? I've never had 05 take this long. Usually its crazy by the next morning when I ferm in the 60s. I'm paranoid about infections but I've never had one. Time to rdwhahb?

Okay thanks. I have a two week old snpa clone on us05 that is just added dry hops to. Maybe I can get some of that slurry if fermentation doesn't start by tomorrow? I've never had 05 take this long. Usually its crazy by the next morning when I ferm in the 60s. I'm paranoid about infections but I've never had one. Time to rdwhahb?

Or warm the beer up to 62.

I agree with the above, I think it will kick in soon.

Next time you could try pitching a quart of the previous beers yeast cake, that seems to work real well for me.

Collect the yeast and pitch immediately if schedule permits, or store the slurry (up to a couple/ few weeks) in a quart jar in the fridge for your next brew.

I have found re pitching slurry is easy, effective, and inexpensive.

I usually go 4-6 generations without issue, but I have read of people going much more fwiw.

Nice!!! That's what I'm looking for. How long does it take to start?

Mine consistently start in 12 hours. I've never had the "its been 48 hours and nothing." I don't know if its the pitch rates or wort temp or what, but my yeast is healthy, happy and ready to go. I don't rehydrate dry yeast if that helps.

Winter is a great time to use things like Notty to help control the monster krasuen it creates.

Well 36 hours later and the airlock is just starting to bubble...maybe one a minute. Johnson it set to 60f but the beer is at 57....at least I hope its beer and not 150ibu bacteria infested sugar water. Times like this I think I should have used one of my carboys so I could see without opening. However 8oz of dry hops commando style would be crazy.

I only opened it once. Thx

Hey good on you for practicing restraint! My mistake, you sounded a bit more anxious on my monitor to me and I assumed you were checking on it like a newborn....but anyways happy your fermenting away, and just my opinion but I don't think you have any reason to worry as long as you sanitized reasonably well...cheers!

i just did an s-05 beer at 61 degrees. i injected pure oxygen into the wort and rehydrated the yeast. maybe a few bubbles (on surface of wort, not in airlock) at 24 hours but not much until 36 hours. krausen at 48. i noted a little bit of sulfur when it was 75% attenuated. i sampled yesterday, 4 days after hitting FG and 8 days total in the fermenter. all fermentation byproducts seem to be cleared up. now it is cold crashing.

this is a long way of saying -- rehydrated s05 took 36 hours to show me much activity in the low 60s and there are no apparent tastes in the beer indicating yeast stress.

Hey good on you for practicing restraint! My mistake, you sounded a bit more anxious on my monitor to me and I assumed you were checking on it like a newborn....but anyways happy your fermenting away, and just my opinion but I don't think you have any reason to worry as long as you sanitized reasonably well...cheers!

Thanks! Yeah I had a long soak in star San and this bucket/lid are brand new.

i just did an s-05 beer at 61 degrees. i injected pure oxygen into the wort and rehydrated the yeast. maybe a few bubbles (on surface of wort, not in airlock) at 24 hours but not much until 36 hours. krausen at 48. i noted a little bit of sulfur when it was 75% attenuated. i sampled yesterday, 4 days after hitting FG and 8 days total in the fermenter. all fermentation byproducts seem to be cleared up. now it is cold crashing.

this is a long way of saying -- rehydrated s05 took 36 hours to show me much activity in the low 60s and there are no apparent tastes in the beer indicating yeast stress.

Sounds good! At what point should in add my dextrose? High kreusen? Never fed a fermenting beer before.

Mine consistently start in 12 hours. I've never had the "its been 48 hours and nothing." I don't know if its the pitch rates or wort temp or what, but my yeast is healthy, happy and ready to go. I don't rehydrate dry yeast if that helps.

Winter is a great time to use things like Notty to help control the monster krasuen it creates.

The fact that you don't rehydrate dry yeast earns you a +1.

m3n00b said:
To be fair he said yeast cake...not washed yeast. There's considerably less viable cells in yeast cakes...

Yes, yeast cake collected in a quart jar. When it settles it is around 20 to 30% liquid that is discarded, then maybe another 10% sticks in the jar.

Earns a significant reduction in viable cells as well.

No worries, with the plethora of online calculators I have no issues pitching the right amount and most of the experiments out there show no remarkable difference in the finish product. I also have never seen any real lag time (always started in 12 hour or so) with this method. But you are correct

Beer is at 59 and fermentation is slow and strong at 48 hours. Amazing smells coming out of the airlock

To be fair he said yeast cake...not washed yeast. There's considerably less viable cells in yeast cakes...

Off topic but I wonder if you are saying that a starter has more viable yeast cells than a yeast cake? I don't agree at all with that. A topic for another thread I suppose.

Off topic but I wonder if you are saying that a starter has more viable yeast cells than a yeast cake? I don't agree at all with that. A topic for another thread I suppose.

No I was saying that a quart of properly washed yeast has many times more healthy cells than quart of trub.

So washing trub reduces cells per gram? It doesn't concentrate it?

apparently so. people think that somehow only the trub washes away and the yeast somehow stays behind the washing process sends tons of good yeast down the drain. it's not like panning for gold where the yeast are way heavier than everything else and fall to the bottom. some makes it to the bottom of the container but everything that is in suspension gets poured out with everything else (hops, protein and so on). pouring the yeast cake right into a jar will save way more yeast than washing it.

Doesn't it reduce shelf life if you don't wash?

not being a scientist i can only speak from my experience. i have pitched small mason jars of yeast slurry that was between 6-8 months old (after warming to room temps) and had visible signs of fermentation within the normal 12-24 hr time period expected. i have never had a contaminated beer from reusing yeast, or any other contamination for that matter. on these forums i have read about others who do the same on a regular basis. yeast washing seems like an intuitively good idea; wash all of the bad stuff out and keep the good stuff but it simply does not work that way at the homebrew level.
if i have a beer that is ready to package and is not contaminated, the yeast cake stored directly into sanitized/sterile jars has a better chance of staying contaminant free than if i washed it in the usual way.
these days i try to time my brews so that i can pitch the reused yeast within a day or two, i don't keep jars of yeast around unless they are Brett or sour blends of yeast cultivated from bottles. the reason for this is not concern for the long term viability of the yeast, i just don't have the room to store the yeast.

not being a scientist i can only speak from my experience. i have pitched small mason jars of yeast slurry that was between 6-8 months old (after warming to room temps) and had visible signs of fermentation within the normal 12-24 hr time period expected. i have never had a contaminated beer from reusing yeast, or any other contamination for that matter. on these forums i have read about others who do the same on a regular basis. yeast washing seems like an intuitively good idea; wash all of the bad stuff out and keep the good stuff but it simply does not work that way at the homebrew level.
if i have a beer that is ready to package and is not contaminated, the yeast cake stored directly into sanitized/sterile jars has a better chance of staying contaminant free than if i washed it in the usual way.
these days i try to time my brews so that i can pitch the reused yeast within a day or two, i don't keep jars of yeast around unless they are Brett or sour blends of yeast cultivated from bottles. the reason for this is not concern for the long term viability of the yeast, i just don't have the room to store the yeast.

Good stuff. Washing yeast is such a pain. This will save me time and money.

m3n00b said:
Good stuff. Washing yeast is such a pain. This will save me time and money.

Yes agreed! I have been recycling slurry direct from the fermenter for a couple years with excellent results. Easy peasy no starters just pitch and go!

Sometimes I brew and keg at the same time, and just simply use a large soup ladle to transfer and pitch slurry from the racked batch to the new batch, can't get much easier!

Yes agreed! I have been recycling slurry direct from the fermenter for a couple years with excellent results. Easy peasy no starters just pitch and go!

Sometimes I brew and keg at the same time, and just simply use a large soup ladle to transfer and pitch slurry from the racked batch to the new batch, can't get much easier!

So you've basically used 10+ generations of the same yeast without issue?

No sorry if that wasn't clear, I usually go 3-6 generations depending on my brew schedule.

I keep it simple and use one house yeast, sometimes using a second strain, but typically one.

I do remember a thread where a guy repitched slurry for 18 batches without issue, that's a little extreme IMO.

before the advent of yeast suppliers all breweries repitched their yeast for hundreds of generations so it is possible to do. it would be interesting to do at home just to see what changes would occur over time, both good and bad.

USO5 is making some funky smells in my freezer. Like a peach daiquiri was puked all up inside.

So its been 6 days and fermentation is still going strong. Was planning on a dry hop tomorrow but only its done. Going to take a hydro sample today.

Back