Starting gravity worries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polock Joe

Reaction score
Brewers Best IPA kit with Amarillo hops thrown in at the end of the boil.

Kit says the starting gravity should be 1.050 but I got 1.030. This was saturday the 7th and today it is down to 1.020.

I thought I followed the directions to a T but looks like I suck. Any ideas on what caused this and how to remedy it for the next? THX

Common problem.

How well did you mix in the water that you topped up with?

Many people dump the sugar rich wort into the bottom of the fermenter, top up, and then measure the gravity...unless you mix really well a lot of the sugar will stay at the bottom.

As long as you got all the extract in there you will be fine.
RDWHAHB!

Well, your og can't reallly be that far off because the sugars ARE in there. Maybe it wasn't stirred enough and the heavy wort settled near the bottom and your sample came from near the top?

As far as your fg, that does seem high. What is it supposed to finish at? My guess is that is should be around 1.012 (depending on the yeast you used) which is 75% attenuation. Is it still actively fermenting, or has it stopped bubbling? I'd leave it for at least a week in the primary before getting too concerned!

Polock Joe said:
Brewers Best IPA kit with Amarillo hops thrown in at the end of the boil.

Kit says the starting gravity should be 1.050 but I got 1.030. This was saturday the 7th and today it is down to 1.020.

I thought I followed the directions to a T but looks like I suck. Any ideas on what caused this and how to remedy it for the next? THX

Lets start at the 1.030. What temp did you take the hydro reading at? Did you check calibration. It seems that you were way off your intended mark. Now that it is at 1.020 so it seems to be acting normally. Just let it keep fermenting down to around 1.012

The temp was around 60-ish when I took the starting gravity.

It is supposed to finish at 1.012-1.015.

It is still bubbling about every 30 seconds

I did not mix the wort and water at all above pouring it in from 5ft. I thought that would do the trick but now I'll make sure to stir it up next time. Thanks for the soothing words....

Back