Starting Fermentation Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin80

Reaction score
I pitched my Yeast (WLP001, smack pack) @ 80 F. Set the thermostat on fridge at 58-60 F. Is this too low for starting the fermentation process? The yeast pack says 70-74 F. I read that starting a 5 to 10 deg. lower compensates for the heat inside the carboy during fermentation, then after fermentation is done bring it to ambient temp?

Justin80 said:
I pitched my Yeast (WLP001, smack pack) @ 80 F. Set the thermostat on fridge at 58-60 F. Is this too low for starting the fermentation process? The yeast pack says 70-74 F. I read that starting a 5 to 10 deg. lower compensates for the heat inside the carboy during fermentation, then after fermentation is done bring it to ambient temp?

Not at all. That's a fine pitching temp. I routinely pitch wlp001 at 57-58F and then ferment at 64-65F. Makes a real clean brew

58-60*F ambient is fine for starting the ferment. After the first 3-5 days, bump it up a couple of degrees per day until you get to 68*F or so to finish.

Next time, try to get your pitch temp down to your starting fermentation temp.

If you want to be able to precisely control and monitor your fermentation temps, spend the $20 and get an STC-1000 from Amazon. Build yourself a controller outlet box with it and enjoy.

I really wanted to get my temp down to starting temp, but i had two thermometers with two different temp readings, and just took the average. Hopefully Im close enough.

Justin80 said:
I really wanted to get my temp down to starting temp, but i had two thermometers with two different temp readings, and just took the average. Hopefully Im close enough.

You'll be fine as long as you get your beer chilled below 70 quickly. I pitch all of my ale 2F lower than my intended ferment temp; in the summer, this means putting my covered wort in the chamber for a few hours prior to pitching.

Same here, I started to ferment in kegs so I simply toss them in keezer to get pitching temp.
You want to pitch cooler and let it rise to fermentation temperature.. also check your thermometers before pitching.

This is all very interesting to me. My buddy starts his brews warm and moves them to a cooler temp after a few days. He said that is what Palmer has recommended in the past. Not sure of that info is still accurate though.

chiteface said:
This is all very interesting to me. My buddy starts his brews warm and moves them to a cooler temp after a few days. He said that is what Palmer has recommended in the past. Not sure of that info is still accurate though.

I don't know this for sure, but I'd be surprised if this is what Palmer recommends. Most off flavors will be produced in the early stages of fermentation, particularly when temps are too warm. I anything, it is usually better to start fermentation low and then ramp the temp up at the end.

OP: when you say you set the fridge thermostat - are you setting the ambient temp in the fridge or are you setting the temp of the fermentation/fermenter?

It's def better to start temp a lil low than high. It'll def warm up on it's own during fermentation. you want to control the temp at the point of initial fermentation. I also chill top off water in the fridge for a day or two before brew day. Chill the wort down to 75F or so,then top off with the chilled cold water. I can usually get it down to 60-61F this way.

I think it was Plise, not Palmer, who once advocated pitching warm.

IMO, that's quite the opposite of what you ought to be doing to get a clean ferment and avoid off-flavors/fusels.

ArcaneXor said:
I think it was Plise, not Palmer, who once advocated pitching warm.

And I believe Plise was talking specifically about lagers - which can be a bit difficult to quickly chill all the way down to fermentation temp.

I don't have a fermentation chamber and always pitched when it was under 75. (i think warm pitching is suggested in TCJOHB) I would get VERY inconsistent results and funny flavors and aromas. After lots of reading on HBT, I get my pitching temps as low as possible; usually 10* below ambient. The results have been much better brews.

Sure, pitching low is simple but noticeable technique when it comes to the taste.
I remember my 1st brews, there was explosion of esters and fusels in my mouth and big question mark above my head. As soon you realize that pitching low is good for your beer you'll save yourself from these (off)flavors.

Back