Starting Equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adolphus79

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I've got all the equipment for winemaking (carboys, siphons, airlocks, brushes, etc.), and I want to start brewing beer. What all would I need to step from winemaking to brewing?

So far, my wish list looks like this:

Turkey Fryer
Bench Capper
Crown Caps
Strainer
Bucket, Lid & Airlock (separate bucket for beer)
Wort Chiller

Is there anything I'm forgetting? I'm just looking for the basic stuff to start with extract brewing, I plan on getting more stuff down the road when I make the move to AG.

Adolphus79 said:
I'm just looking for the basic stuff to start with extract brewing, I plan on getting more stuff down the road when I make the move to AG.

Well if you truly just want to start with extract, the turkey fryer kit and wort chiller are not needed. You wont need to boil all 5 gallons (assuming you are doing 5 gal batches) and therefore do not need that equipment, although when you make the move to AG you will need both of those as well as a mash/lauter tun - so it is up to you if you would rather get the extra equipment right away. From what you have, all you need is thee bottling equipment (bottles, caps, capper) and I would highly recommend you get a bottling bucket with a bottling wand. Also a decent size boil pot.

Yeah, I already have a racking cane, and spring tip bottle filler, was planning on using that to bottle at first, then a bottling bucket down the road a little further.

As far as the turkey fryer & wort chiller goes, I figured I might as well get these now. Then when I upgrade to AG, I won't need to buy a second kettle. And from what I've read, the wort chiller will help whether you're extract or AG. Plus, I've nowhere to put the kettle for an ice bath at the moment, other than the bathtub, and I doubt SWMBO would like that very much. The capper and caps are already on my list, and I have a half dozen cases of Sam Adams bottles ready to be filled.

Yeah pretty simple upgrade, get going. I think you are smart for going with the turkey fryer kit and chiller right off the bat, I am making the same plunge as well soon.

Back