Starting a Mug Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
A friend of mine came up with the idea to start a mug club for my home bar, so I recently put this together, I was wondering if anyone else did this typew of thing ?

Here's the rub:

1.I invited 24 close friends ( all guy's except for 3 hot girls ) ,
2.Everyone gets their own mug with a number on it
3.Everyone gets a cool custom tee shirt
4. unlimited beer for a year
5. learn how to brew for the ones who have never done it before or a couple of guests
6. A quarterly newsletter , upcoming parties, latest breers on tap , sugguestions ...etc
7. Cost is $ 120 per year / 10 bucks a month

Here's how it breaks down

24 x 120 = $ 2880
less 445 mug cost
less 425 tee shirts

roughly $ 2,000 dollars ingredients, that allot of grain and hops .

How it happened ? , people were drinking and wanting to always give me 5 or 10 bucks here or there, for them , it works out to 10 bucks a month ( which is just like two beers at a bar a month ) . Of course my time and utility cost are in there too. but this just makes it all easier I guess.

Here's the cool part :
P1000260.jpg

P1000264.jpg

P4020781-1.jpg

Pretty sweet idea. Got to love 2k for ingredients/equipment. Once you get them all brewing you can have your own little festival, too

The only thing I would have done different is to allow everybody to bring their own mug. The ones you have are pretty damn cool, but drinking out of a skull is badass

The only thing I would have done different is to allow everybody to bring their own mug. The ones you have are pretty damn cool, but drinking out of a skull is badass

+1 on that. The best mug clubs are the ones where you supply the mug. And drinking out of a skull is pretty badass

I was in a mug club at my favorite pub (before I moved away), and they supplied the mug... BUT I put some skull stickers on it to customize it (and to feel more badass, like Parker36 with his skull mug). :ban:

The only thing that would make it better is to up the ratio of hot girls and post pictures on HBT.

Seriously though, great idea and it's cool that you have the support of friends to run something like that.

A friend of mine came up with the idea to start a mug club for my home bar, so I recently put this together, I was wondering if anyone else did this typew of thing ?

Here's the rub:
4. unlimited beer for a year
7. Cost is $ 120 per year / 10 bucks a month

Here's how it breaks down

Here's how it breaks down... I drink you broke... you enjoy my meager $120 donation. Any questions?

Here's how it breaks down... I drink you broke... you enjoy my meager $120 donation. Any questions?

I thought so too, until I did some math. Say you're averaging $20/5 gal batch... more for some less for others (you'll be saving more buying bulk.)

2000/20=100 batches

100batches*5 gal *128oz*gal^(-1)/16oz pint=4000 pints

4000 pints/24=166.67 pints per person per year

If everyone stops by for two pints every other night, then you're in trouble. If you're drinking one night a week as a club and people have three pints each then you're about breaking even.

Not everyone is a heavy drinker, it may work out well! I say include an extra 5 bucks a month for equipment upgrades!:rockin:

Pretty close khuygie88, for the exception of about 4 guys , most people will stop by once a month, drink 5 beers and be done. the 4 guys who drink more often will stop by once a week , drink 10 beers and fall down:ban:

The other option is do nothing and get nothing other than a pat on the back and the 5 or 10 dollars in the tip jar on a not so often basis.

Out of the invites I sent, evenyone is on board, and really loves the idea. If it turns out to be a bust, so be it. It's a one year membership, and I still receive 2000 dollars to help out with the costs. Ten bucks a month is really reasonable, you could charge whatever you think people would pay as a donation. It's still free beer in the end, I am just asking friends for a donation to cover the costs of a cool tee shirt ,a cool mug , and brewing instruction.I am not selling beer, just stuff.

Back