starting a micro-brewery in WA ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rompstar

Kodiak "Home" Brewing - ClearView, WA
Reaction score
I been brewing for a couple of years, and I have perfected some really good beers. I brew in my basement, which i like because the temperatures are stable and my property has an artesian water well on it, so the water is pretty good too and mostly free.

My questions is this, I know that the micro-brewery license costs $100 - but in what ways would I need to qualify ? I am not interested in starting a big business, I still want to run it from my basement, just register it and was wondering what the laws are from when you go beyond the hobby ?

Can I brew in the basement, is there some regulations against that ? I live in Snohomish, WA (Clearview, WA) Zip: 98296, so pretty much in farming land, there is not any other buildings around me here.

Any insight would be welcomed, I am still in very early stages, but I figure I start, thanks!

These questions are meant for a lawyer not a homebrewing online forum. Do some research and check the laws of your state. Starting a microbrewery is much more complicated than just getting your license.

Check out www.probrewer.com they would have more knowledge about starting a brewery.

I have been researching this same thing, I'm in Ferndale (just north of Bellingham). Trying to figure out if Nano-Brewery in the garage falls under any and all of the same laws as a Micro brewery in a separate building!

JER

There are more things involved then you would ever imagine. Health inspections, label approval and fees, and brewing licenses to name just a few. Every step relies on another and leads into another and any hitch with a step causes delays all down the lines.

Then if you want to distribute, that is a whole 'nother ball game. Don't take my word for it since I don't know your state's laws...check with a lawyer.

I would love to see you succeed but I just wanted you to be prepared for a lot of bureaucratic red tape!

Like mentioned before, probrewer.com will have TONS more info and experience than we could ever offer!

thanks for the replies - I figured there would be a red tape, I use to live in Philadelphia and that city is filled with so much red tape that I eventually just left for the West coast - never regretted this decision.

Anyways :- ) my plan is more like a Nano-Brewery, like one person said, I plan to brew for special events, I will have zero plans for Distribution, there won't be any labels for bottles, just Kegs - unless I need label on Kegs too.

So, this is a 1 man operation, I don't have any employee dependencies here, so if something gets stuck, I can wait, I am not quitting my day job or anything like that. Just would like other to be able to enjoy my beer, is all.

So people will come to me to pick it up, I think that is a loop hole that everyone uses to get around Distribution. But thanks for the replies, I guess I will go to the pro board and ask away there.

thanks for the replies - I figured there would be a red tape, I use to live in Philadelphia and that city is filled with so much red tape that I eventually just left for the West coast - never regretted this decision.

Anyways :- ) my plan is more like a Nano-Brewery, like one person said, I plan to brew for special events, I will have zero plans for Distribution, there won't be any labels for bottles, just Kegs - unless I need label on Kegs too.

So, this is a 1 man operation, I don't have any employee dependencies here, so if something gets stuck, I can wait, I am not quitting my day job or anything like that. Just would like other to be able to enjoy my beer, is all.

So people will come to me to pick it up, I think that is a loop hole that everyone uses to get around Distribution. But thanks for the replies, I guess I will go to the pro board and ask away there.

Best of luck and just know it CAN be done. A few breweries come to mind who have done this, but especially Rock Art in vermont. Check out their story sometime if you need inspiration!

Chances are unlikely you'll be able to pull it off in your basement. From what I understand, if you're doing a nano from your home property, it must be in a detached building. On top of that, you'll need to comply with local land use regulations which would likely require a variance to operate a brewery in a property zoned for residential use.

There once was a nano brewery along the burke gilman trail in a storage locker by the fred meyer in ballard called gilligans. They gave out free samples 2 days a week and sold growlers. Maybe you can message those guys on facebook or their blog. Damn good beer!

Hey I've been looking into this whole thing too, for starters in order to get a WA state Micro-Brewery license the brewery needs to be disconnected from the residence (brew-shed). But as far as the approval of county/state/federal control agents it seems to be in the hands of whoevers in charge and what the local laws are. Check out Foggy Noggin Brewery in Bothell:
http://www.foggynogginbrewing.com/
If hes legal then I'm sure you're just a couple steps away and im sure you could sneak a couple questions in on the tour.

Hey I've been looking into this whole thing too, for starters in order to get a WA state Micro-Brewery license the brewery needs to be disconnected from the residence (brew-shed). But as far as the approval of county/state/federal control agents it seems to be in the hands of whoevers in charge and what the local laws are. Check out Foggy Noggin Brewery in Bothell:
http://www.foggynogginbrewing.com/
If hes legal then I'm sure you're just a couple steps away and im sure you could sneak a couple questions in on the tour.

I just got to check out Foggy Noggin last weekend. That place is awesome and he makes some delicious beers.

Cool, thanks for the info! ~ one day I am going to give this a try.

kodiakbrewing.com

Check out some of the discussions on probrewer.com. It is an enticing prospect for sure, but fraught with pitfalls it appears. Also consider this: as a hobby you brew when you want to. As a business, if you don't feel like brewing that day, well, too bad.

Back